gardenbean

Ladybugs

While in the garden, I came upon several(maybe a hundred) ladybugs that were scattered about. Since I have not garden as long as others here, is this natural to see as many ladybugs in one central location?

Is this a result from me working to get my soil in top notch shape?

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

IMO, consider yourself lucky to have that many lady bugs in your garden. They are a great natural predator when it comes to eliminating aphids and other garden pests.

carol_in_va

Maybe some were released in your area. Someone around here (local co-op?) annually releases tons of ladybugs and we see a surge for a little while. Enjoy them while they last, before they become dragonfly snacks!

vegetable-gardener88

They are great for aphids.

applestar
Mod

In my garden, the plum trees get infested by aphids. By the time they get so bad that their honewdew start coating anything under them and sooty mold start to grow so I have to move the hammock out of the way, the ladybugs have descended, and we need to tiptoe under the plum trees or step on ladybug larvae and pupae that are everywhere including blades of grass.

When I moved out the overwintered peppers that had been plagued with aphids, the ladybugs were on them the next day to take care of them. :()

Upper branches are also hopping with finches, chickadees, titmice, and kinglets that are feasting on the aphids on the new shoots.

gardenbean

So ladybugs are good :lol: Cause I went out to the garden this am and sure enough I've found some around the beets and carrots. Love ladybugs!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”