Fig3825

And if you haven't seen it, I did one several weeks ago of my cucumbers. It's in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37942]THIS[/url] thread. :)

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Resurrecting this year-old thread:

I finally got longer mounting screws for my PlantCam (looooong story) and put it up so it's watching my pumpkin patch:

Here's its approximate view of the patch:

I say approximate because I can't see through the viewfinder of the PlantCam when its mounted, and I didn't bring my laptop down to the field with me this morning. So I just snapped a shot with my iPhone from approximately the same location and angle. I think the FOV on my iPhone is slightly wider. I'll bring my laptop down tomorrow morning and check the aim on the PlantCam.

Fig3825

Mine is currently pointing at my new house...under construction. I will stitch the video together later. Unfortunately, they are working inside now so I'm unable to get interior timelapse photos - at least not until the painting is done. I can't imagine a paint smogged interior would be good for my camera. I may film the cabinet installation this weekend with the GoPro2, though - read on...

I think I already posted it, but I made a video of the demolition that took place in January. However, I did not use the plant cam. I used my shiny new HERO GoPro2 (at least it was new when the demo took place)... Note that it is me driving the backhoe for the first bit of the movie (until I knock the first dormer down) and then my builder took over. Not something one gets to do everyday - demo a part of their own house. :) Watch video to the end, I did a pseudo "Matrix Bullettime Shot" for the last 20 frames or so.

Once Youtube opens, use the settings button to view in HD goodness if your ISP is giving you the speed to do so. Recorded in full 1080p HD. Photos taken at 1/2 second intervals. Timelapse stitched together using VirtualDub at 24FPS.

[url=https://youtu.be/cjmtntv7s0s]CHECK IT OUT![/url]

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Fig3825 wrote:I may film the cabinet installation this weekend with the GoPro2
Ooooh. I didn't know the GoPro could do time-lapse. I was thinking of buying another PlantCam for my Atlantic Giants, but then I see that Wingscapes has discontinued the [url=https://www.wingscapes.com/timelapse-cameras/timelapse-plantcam]$63 PlantCam[/url] in favor of a [url=https://www.wingscapes.com/timelapse-cameras/timelapsecam8]$110 TimeLapse 8.0 camera[/url] that's not even in stock.

I like the new USB out feature, but the extra resolution has no value to me if the videos are destined for YouTube. I can't really tell from their site what else is new and improved.

I certainly don't _need_ a GoPro to record my 8-yr-old skiing around, but if it could double as a time lapse camera, that's like _saving_ $110, no?

My primary concern about using a GoPro for time-lapse would be theft--it would look very attractive sitting out there above my garden.

Also, how's the battery life in time lapse mode?

Fig3825

You can always build a custom enclosure for your GoPro - perhaps made out of a lockable wire mesh box. Based on some of your creations (squirrel cages!), I'm sure you are clever enough to do so. :) Then mount it up high and grease the pole! LOL!

I have not used my GoPro enough to have fully explored the timelapse mode. I fear that, like when I had it set to take a snap ever .5 second, the camera never shut off. I have not set it to take a snap every minute, 5 minutes or half hour to know how the battery will do because I don't know if it auto-shuts off between pictures. Naturally, at 1/2 second intervals, it never shut off. It ran at that interval for about 2 hours before killing the battery. Since the demo didn't take long, it was perfect. I was there with a tripod and was able to check on it at my convenience since I was on site during the entire demo.

I also have the LCD backpack, which I couldn't figure out how to turn off during the timelapse recording I did, which makes a HUGE different on how fast the battery drains - so, again, untested and probably not helpful to you.. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”