applestar
Mod

Finally some pics -- slow going/less than planned

Yucky weather patterns continue with mostly drought and I continue to be "under the weather" with less than stellar results in the garden.

I did finally take some pictures around the garden. As you can see I do have things growing and have been harvesting here and there. just not as much as I had hoped when I was making plans back last fall. :?

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8550.jpg[/img]
Yay! made it! 4th of July harvested ripe tomatoes. :D
Smattering of Cossack Pineapple Ground Cherries "aging" until wrinkled for eating. It's a big hit with DD9 --the tomato lover in this family and delighted to discover this new snack. :wink:

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8537.jpg[/img]
Stowell's Evergreen Corn that survived to grow despite the chipmunk.
original plan was for a whole offset block of 36 to grow here and shade this SW wall.... We're looking at at least 7' high at 4th of July. The problem is now I can't easily reach the tassels to help pollinate. Almost, but not quite ready to silk.

Nice harvest of Fava beans and radishes came out of here earlier, starting to dig the garlic along the path, and Red Russian Kale is enjoying the extra room.

There is at least one Okra trying to grow in the corn-less space, and southern peas -- either pink eye or zipper cream (I think zc) are starting to sprout along the front trellis. there are watermelon vines growing to the right of the same trellis, and I sowed Sugar Pie pumpkins just recently.
Last edited by applestar on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8528.jpg[/img]
Espaliered early Pristine apples are starting to ripen. :D

applestar
Mod

Last year's Sauce Tomato bed made of hay bales were planted with Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Romanesco Broccoflower earlier in spring:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8427.jpg[/img]

Now that they are harvested and done, pumpkin and butternut squash are taking over the bed:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8521.jpg[/img]

Buhl corn to the left.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Wow! You seem to be doing extremely well, despite the drought. I cannot believe your corn. The tomatoes are beautiful!

applestar
Mod

Thanks Stella! :D

Here's the Atlantic Giant Pumpkin. So far no SVB:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8540.jpg[/img]

It's a little hard to see but I'm hoping these wasps I found nesting in a solar light a few feet away will help guard this Apple Tree Guild area:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8541.jpg[/img]

Hmm... I didn't take a picture :? but there are some Waltham broccoli still producing side shoots and then direct seeded Brussels Sprouts further along this area where they get a little shade around high-noon.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Applestar, you look at these and think what could have been and what you can change next year, and we look at these pics and say, "Wow! Good going!"

I know it's disappointing to anticipate some things only to have nature change the plan, as with your corn. I look at it as serendipity or maybe glass half full. Nature abhors a vacuum. Your missing corn will allow what remains to grow taller and stronger, and maybe the okra will shade that wall better than the corn anyway. You can always toss in some sunflower seed for rapid growth of either the flowers or the squirrels' bushy tails. Both are wins in my book.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice garden Thanks for sharing the pictures. I can't believe how much ahead of me you are. Ripe tomatoes? Mine are just starting to bloom. I will be lucky to get a tomato by September. The corn is knee high.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I was surprised to see the ripe tomatoes, too. You're north of me, but I know the weather patterns are different. I bought early girl this year and they're still green.

That's a cool way to make a quick raised bed (the hay bales in the fencing).

shadowsmom

I'm impressed by the ripe tomatoes too! I keep giving mine words of encouragement, but I'm still waiting for one to show signs of turning red. :lol:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

awesome! I also can't believe you have ripe tomatoes!

gardenbean

Applestar, that's a great way to use a bale of hay for a raised garden! And I liked how you had it surround with wire for trellising later.

Keep us posted with the watermelon? I've never grown one before but would love to see what they look like as they get better :)

applestar
Mod

Thank you for the props! :D
Check out the "I want to talk about Hay" thread in Permaculture Forum.

I'll post more pictures soon. :wink:

BP

When did you plant your corn? I ask because you are way ahead of me. I got my silver queen in beginning of June (couple weeks later than I wanted) due to flooding and I'm worried if it will have enough time to grow nice ears? I should've tried a corn with a shorter growing period, but I already had the seed. It's a little over my knee now.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Not bad the corn around here is 4-6 foot but I'm sure you planted early.

Not looking too bad you have tomatoes. I have been getting them but none of my neighbors are very close yet. :wink:

You are doing alright don't fret there is still a lot of time in your season.

Keep them pics coming Apple I just love hearing from you. :D

BP

The pumpkin pic- what is the upsidedown pop bottle for?

applestar
Mod

It's meant to be a "scare" and has wind flaps cut all round and is screwed into the top of the stick with a washer inside and outside so it spins with the wind.

However, I've seen bunnies munching away right under it while it's spinning and catbirds feasting on blueberries right next to it so I'm not sure how effective it is.... :roll:

It was a bit tedious cutting the vanes and I'm not fond of making it, but I keep it because it does spin in the wind. I think it would be a lot more impressive if I had a whole row of it though. 8)

BP

Thank's a pretty good idea.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”