sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

help with blight please

OK, so I get early blight every year. its in my soil I guess. this year it came extra early. before even any tomatoes set. and it keeps spreading and spreading. I've been trimming off the bad branches. I even had DH spray the other night with a fungicide, but he isn't very thorough. I went out last night and chopped off anything that even had a speck of anything or looked like something might be starting on them. my poor plants look terrible.. so scrawny. so I did what someone told me and made some earthworm compost tea and sprayed that just now. as I was out there there are already more branches infected this morning. :( its just spreading much too fast for my liking. at this point, what else can I do? are my tomato plants just doomed at this point? :( this bites.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Sheeshshe
If your toms are outdoors then you can spray with Bordeaux Mixture
( Copper Sulphate).
Gives good control of blight.

There is a seven day harvest interval on it...but I guess that would be the last of your worries.

:?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

where do they sell that? any place that sells plants?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

They should do Shee.
It's a very old remedy...but it still works.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

any way to get rid of this stuff out of the soil? can I kill it at all? or is this something I just need to deal with every year?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

is there a certain type of the copper sulfate that I want? I'm reading online that there is crystals, sprays, granuals, etc etc etc. does it make a difference?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

No it's all the same stuff Sheila.
Just that in crystal form or as powder you would have to mix it yourself.
As regards the blight .
There is nothing that you can use that will kill the blight that is already infecting a part of a plant. All any of the sprays do is give uninfected parts
of the plant a layer of protection as spores from the fungus fall on to it.
So it calls for thorough and regular sprays to protect in heavy infestations.

A real devil.
For a stronger ...non organic spray....use something containing the chemical chlorothalonil.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what I have now is the chloro whatnot stuff. the place I got it at told me it was a copper spray. got it home and it was not. (this was last year at the garden center). so, Dh sprayed it once but it did nothing. he was out there for all of 5 min for 50plants, so that tells you how thorough he was. just not sure how often these things can be sprayed I guess.

can I alternate with the copper and this stuff so I can have continued protection?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

You would have to check the labels Sheila.
There is bound to be harvest dates and also things like copper should not be sprayed too often as it can build up in the soil.
Whatever you use though ....it must be thorough. just a light drift over will not do the job.......and don't forget the underside of the leaves.

Don't see why you cannot alternate...in fact it's quite wise to vary the sprays you use so that resistance is kept to a minimum.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I got some copper spray, ready to use in spray bottle recently. This is Natural Guard brand, Copper Soap Liquid Fungicide. The garden center also had a liquid concentrate to mix-your-own. (cheaper for larger areas). As much as I am trying to go organic, got this for a couple of tuffies.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, I'm wondering if the milk/water solution that we use for powdery mildew of squash would work for your tomato plants?

Have you ever tried it?

Usually, I will mix no more that 1:1 milk:water and spray the plants with a spray bottle. 1:2 or 1:3 milk:water might be better to start out with to make sure it doesn't do any harm (I doubt it would).

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The Daconil (chlorothalo stuff) can be sprayed up until the day before harvest. I don't know about the copper. The leaf receptors that the fungus attaches to is on the top of the leaves so you can get a pretty good coverage quickly, but if he is under the impression that it is a systemic, and just sprayed some on each plant you are in trouble. Both the copper and Daconil work the same way, as blocking prophylactics. They wash off with rain.

Milk spray has been shown to make at least one of the blights worse (Alternaria-Early Blight I think), it only works for powdery mildew, AFAIK.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

OK... so if it rains, do you reapply right away?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You want to get it on before the dust blows in more spores, so applying after a rain is better than just before a rain.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

but lets say I sprayed one day, then it rained that night... can I spray it again the next day? is that OK to do?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

also, before I spray again here... I"m going to have to chop chop chop again even though I just chopped 2 days ago :( its sad. there is barely anything left to chop :( my poor plants!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

No advice to offer, but I feel horrible you're having such a hard time this year :(

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dissolve 1 tablespoon of copper sulfate with 2 tablespoons of lime in 1 gallon of water. Spray your tomato plants 2 or 3 times every week. This will stop it from spreading. Cut off the blight infected parts of your plants.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

and my sprayer is not cooperating. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black River

Shee, I've been fighting blight this year also, first on potatoes, now on tomatoes and peppers. I bought the Daconil liquid spayer mix and sprayed very thouroughly. It took me two evenings to spray 95 plants, and I probably used 5-6 sprayer fulls. I covered the leaves until there was a little of the whitish substance left on them. So far after one time spraying, it seems to have stopped it for the most part. The peppers made a total turnaround after one application. That was a week ago, and we've had rain every day for the last two-three days so I will re-apply the Daconil this weekend. That's the darndest part of it all, last year I couldn't get enough water on the garden, this year it's too much! Sure would be nice to have a normal year every now and then!

You might need to buy a new sprayer, I just used a gallon size plastic cheapie one from Wal-mart. I wasn't sure what I had put in the one I had, so I didn't take a chance.

So, I think I saved the plants, but now I think I will have to fence the garden to keep the chickens from eating the 'maters! Good luck!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I haven't had the chance to finish spraying. rr. the next night it rained. the next night I didnt have help as I was alone, and tonight was birthday celebration food for my DH. I hope to finish spraying tomororw. the tomatoes seem to be doing ok so far, but the potatoes are not doing hot. they're doing worse now. hopefully the sprayer works. I tried soaking the spraying element. I jut bought the thing last year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”