gardenvt
Green Thumb

Harvested first eggplant

Friday, July 1st, we harvested and grilled our first Rosa Bianca eggplant. It weighed 13.4 oz and was about the size of a mayonnaise jar. This was our first harvest from the garden other than herbs and greens.

Speaking of greens, I found an amazing recipe for lettuce a few weeks ago in our local paper. It is "Braised lettuce w/peas". I would have never thought of cooking lettuce but it is a delicious way to prepare it and an excellent way of using up that lettuce that is just starting to bolt. There are dozens of like recipes on the web so if your lettuce is "taking off", try braising it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That's great! Last I tried to grow eggplant they wouldn't do a thing. I gave up.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:That's great! Last I tried to grow eggplant they wouldn't do a thing. I gave up.
Ha! The truth will out!

And, some of us thought that you just didn't like 'em, jal!

Good for you, Gardenvt!

My eggplants are just sitting out there looking at me! Not even a flower . . .

Steve

edited to add [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34832]link to an earlier post[/url]

csvd87

I have flowers blooming on my Hydro to Soil transplant, the rest are still waiting for warm weather...

Stella Blue

Whew, I thought I was the only one having problems with eggplant. Mine have 2 sets of true leave per plant, appear healthy, but haven't grown in weeks.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Jal-ut - you know what, you kinda made my day. I always look for your photos and show my husband your crop photos and you seem to just have the SUPER Green thumb, it made me feel good that I can grow eggplant and you find it difficult. I don't mean it in a bad way, but I feel better knowing something is working for me as It shows that we all live in areas that are more suitable for certain plants or at least more than others. Now if I can just get my family to eat it :shock: - No really I find it odd that it is hard for you. I guess it doesn't get hot enough. I saw your strawberries and was amazed how quickly everything grows for you as well. Or at least it seems quick to me when I follow what you do on the site. I also wonered in that one photo you put up - do you still have snow in the higher elevations now? :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”