davefromwestchester

Squash/Zucchini problem

Hi all,

Yet one more question. Our squash and zucchini plants are looking very hearty, very green with lots of blossoming. However, a lot of the blossoms are falling off and an empty, unfruited stem is left. Are we doing something wrong? There are some fruits growing but we thought that all blossoms produce a fruit. Any help is appreciated.

D from W

SPierce
Greener Thumb

davefromwestchester wrote:Hi all,

Yet one more question. Our squash and zucchini plants are looking very hearty, very green with lots of blossoming. However, a lot of the blossoms are falling off and an empty, unfruited stem is left. Are we doing something wrong? There are some fruits growing but we thought that all blossoms produce a fruit. Any help is appreciated.

D from W
Not necessarily... a blossom has to be pollinated in order to produce a fruit. And, as I've found with mine, sometimes a plant will abort a pollinated fruit for another fruit that it feels will be stronger...

davefromwestchester

SPierce wrote:
davefromwestchester wrote:Hi all,

D from W
Not necessarily... a blossom has to be pollinated in order to produce a fruit. And, as I've found with mine, sometimes a plant will abort a pollinated fruit for another fruit that it feels will be stronger...
Thanks, got it. A sort of a DUH! moment for me, of course, that makes total sense. My wife said, well let's get some bees, and I said, I don't think it works like that. She was kidding (I think). We never see many bees at all in our area. So this could be a big problem, if I understand you correctly. No bees = no pollination = no fruits. Bummer.

Thanks for educating me!

Dave

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There are many other insects that are pollinators. You can fertilize them yourself though if you need to.

But around here all you have to do is wait it out and soon you won't know what to do with it all.

Again good luck.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

but we thought that all blossoms produce a fruit.
Squash plants have both male and female flowers. Only the female flowers produce a fruit. The males do not produce fruit. They make pollen which must be carried to the female blossom somehow. Usually by a bee or other insect.

The male blossoms are on a long stem and often come up above the canopy of leaves. The female blossoms are on short stems and are close the vine. They have what looks like a miniature fruit at the base of the pedals.

If you are getting some fruit it sounds like you have some pollinators at work. Looks normal to me. Have a great harvest!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”