gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Germinating pumpkins in this heat?

I have my garlic pulled and the onions are on their way out so I'm about to have a ton of room for squash of this and that variety and type.

It has become very hot upper 90's. I still want to try and grow some squash. Should I plant them in the ground, I know they don't like their roots being messed with. But even if I water day and night it will be dry at some point when I 'm gone. I am not sure that would be good for germination.

Or I could start them in my basement with a heating mat and as soon as they pop up transplant.

Any suggestions here, this is the weekend to do this.

Thanks

Dono

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I started all mine inside from seed, then transplanted out as soon as they got big enough.. so far everything's reacted OK and hasn't given any problems!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plant them in the ground where they will grow. 1.5 inches deep. You could soak them for a while before planting to speed things up a bit.

2cents
Green Thumb

gix,
I've the same kind of free space and about to put some squash out. I'll direct sow.
Good luck

applestar
Mod

You got me thinking if I sow now, I might still get harvest in for Halloween! :-()

I direct sowed Cinderella pumpkin (Rouge vif d'Etampes) and Sugar Pie pumpkin (in completely opposite parts of the property to minimize cross pollination.)

We (FINALLY!) had a nice drenching rain this morning so they're off to a good start. 8)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

In my experience, squash like the heat, so I would say to go ahead with it. You've got nothing to loose and pumpkins to gain :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”