Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Zucchini won't create female flowers

I found this zucchini plant growing in my backyard (I have no clue how it got there :? ) and I planted it around 2 months ago. It's growing very nicely but it's only creating male flowers. Is this normal?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Yup! They produce male flowers for a while before producing females. Give it time- it'll get there! Especially if you're having a lot of heat, which could slow production on the plant...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I second the give it time. They do take a while than look out the madness begins. You will be up to your ears in Zukes before you know it. :lol:

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Upon really close inspection, I noticed a tiny new female flower. :D Are mornings the best time to polinate these flowers?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:Upon really close inspection, I noticed a tiny new female flower. :D Are mornings the best time to polinate these flowers?
Yup! The flowers only open in the morning- but you have to have a female flower and a male flower open at the same time. Just either pick the male flower off, or take a q-tip and take the pollen off the male, and rub it onto the female!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Thanks yall!!

vermontkingdom

I too am having a terrible time with my zucchini. I've gardened for almost 50 years and never had a year when the plants just keep producing male flowers. I've got dozens of male flowers and not a single female flower on my plants this morning. Most years we've had our first zucchini around the middle of June so this is so strange to be through July 4th without any. On a brighter note, and thank God, the cukes this year are simply amazing.

vegetable-gardener88

You just have to be patient:)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”