hornedtoad1

elephant garlic

anybody have any experience with elephant garlic? I'd like to plant some, but not sure what time of year it should go into the ground. the fall? I live in the desert of southern utah.
Last edited by hornedtoad1 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hortman

Hello hornedtoad1. I'm pretty sure that you have a cold winter with many days below 32*F.
You would have to live in a mild winter area to plant in the fall, so plant in the spring. Use
rich, well-draining soil. Plant pointed end up 1 inch deep and 8-12 inches apart. Enjoy your
garlic. Take care.

Mis3836
Newly Registered

Just looked it up for you Utah Extension service said plant it late September. Good luck with it

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, elephant garlic grows like regular garlic, overwinters just fine. I planted my (regular) garlic in early Oct last year. It sprouted some in fall and then just sat there, buried in snow, freezing, etc. and took off and grew like crazy in spring. Since frost comes earlier for you, I think, then you should plant a little earlier than I did.

hornedtoad1

thanks for the input, everybody. we do get some good winter storms here, but if the garlic went in the ground early enough in the fall to get rooted, it probably would be all right. :D :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I plant my elephant garlic about the first of October. Maybe even as late as November. It does just fine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”