jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Planting ----- its a disease

Yesterday I made a quick trip to town to get my glasses fixed. As I was leaving I noticed a clearance sale on plants at a nursery display. So......... I just couldn't resist taking a look. There was some pretty pathetic looking pepper plants for a very good price, so I took pity on a dozen of them and brought them home and planted them. I did have some space where early radishes had been. At this point I feel like I may have wasted my money, but we will see what they will do.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Oh gosh, isn't that SO the truth! I went out and bought some brussels sprouts seeds and a few other things for a winter garden, then some straw bales to put down as mulch/shelter from the dirt, and some flowers to plant in between my plants so I get more bees in the area!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

James,

You should start a foundation. Instead of a animal shelter, a plant shelter.

" Mile High Plant Sanctuary " We domesticated these plants. It is our responsibility to take care of them.

Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

"Saving peppers from the compost heap every day." :flower:

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I got a couple of dirt cheap peppers recently that were tall, spindly and rootbound. They are doing just fine.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I too adopted some seedlings yesterday. The local farm stand gave me 9 (it was a 9 pack, he wouldn't let me take less) diva cukes for a dollar as the looked very sad and I think they were headed for the compost pile. Of course I don't have room for them but I managed to get 2 near a trellis. I feel bad for the other 7.

soil
Greener Thumb

I have the seed disease, to go along with planting disease.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do you want some Northern Utah Wallpaper? This one is 1280 x 1024

[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/wallpaper_june.jpg]Go fetch it![/url]

I know everyone probably has a different size of desktop.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I purposely have to avoid the nurseries and the home depot / walmart garden section because I can never say no, I always want to try something - even if it is 100 degrees in Florida or way too wet, or it looks half dead - I still think!!! - MAY HAVE A CHANCE, must plant today. :lol:
Oh that screen saver is beautiful - Is that still snow up top there ?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I with you James and most of the others here. I have some cleared spaces here recently I'm contemplating what will fill those. And yes If I see plants on sale they come home whether they make it or not. It's worth a try.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/strawberry_june.jpg[/img]

Maybe this is what makes it worth it?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Maybe this is what makes it worth it?
Oh Yeah, Now that's what I'm talking about!

Eric

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:So......... I just couldn't resist taking a look.
Have dirt, Will plant !!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Just this morning, I was showing my husband how much more of the lawn I wanted to use for gardening - this after taking all of the back part of the yard this spring. I noted where I could put in another 4x8 raised bed, still have room for the cukes and other trellised plants and have space outside the garden area for some spring flowers, etc.

I have walked by those plants and have one nursery I will go to in a week or so. He sells directly to the public and the plants are at amazing prices - perennials flowers are what I purchase there and I get such great buys.

I haven't been tempted to buy veggie plants because when I did that last year, I lost all of my cukes to the cucumber beetles when I brought home some replacement plants after the squirrels dug mine up.

Nope - I am not going to buy veggie plants - but I have bought more seeds, am starting more plants for fall and already planning next year's garden.

Just another garden addict.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

You just gave me a brilliant idea! I need more bees (though I am terrified by them - huge bee phobia) but all the nurseries always have clearance flowers and if I can get them cheap and put them around the garden maybe just maybe they will help bring in the bees...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”