Aya

Mushrooms under my blight infested tomato?

So I'm pretty sure my cherry tomato is a lost cause. I went out today and over half of it is yellowed and has dead leaves. I was contemplating how to pull it out when I noticed two little mushrooms growing under it. Since its in a raised bed, and I didn't plant them..I'm kind of wondering how they got there.

They are about 2.5 inches tall and a light tan/cream color. The cap is nearly as long as the entire mushroom and is a narrow bell shape. Any idea what kind they are? Should I pull them?

Also..how do I go about taking out the 4 foot tomato plant? Do I need to wear gloves?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Mushrooms reproduce with dust like spores so they blew in within minutes of the soil going into the bed. they feed on the organic matter in the mix, making it better for platn growth. Fungi that attack plants do not form mushrooms. They form microscopic spore releasing structures or inn the case of Southern blight, little pink-tan balls on the dead part of the stem.

You can pull up the plant with your bare hands, but gloves may give you a better grip. A shovel may make it easier.

Aya

Thanks! So should I just till in the mushrooms as well as my other compost? Or should I pull them when I plant more peas and cool weather crops this fall?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The mushroom is just a temporary fruiting structure and will be gone in a few days. The fungus is spread through the soil in a network of fine threads, and chopping those up won't hurt it. They just grow back like mold on bread.

applestar
Mod

Latex/nyplex kitchen gloves are good for jobs like that. :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Latex/nyplex kitchen gloves are good for jobs like that.
Oh poo, get your hands dirty! :P :lol:

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you meant do you need to wear gloves because of the blight on the tomato plant, no. The blight can't affect you. You could spread it around your garden, by touching the blight then touching other plants, but you can do that wearing gloves also. Just be careful and wash up once you are done pulling the plant. And don't compost it, unless your compost pile runs really hot.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Because you have a young dog who's inexorably drawn to your garden plants, I recommend pulling the mushrooms out as soon as you see them. They *may* be safe, but why risk it?

I posted elsewhere here about Donato, the Bernese Mtn. Dog puppy (6 mos. old) who ate what turned out to be a death cap last summer. [url=https://bernese.biz/MushroomFlyer.htm]Here[/url] is the flyer.

It's best, in the presence of children and pets, to treat all mushrooms as if they are death caps. If you even suspect that the dog has eaten a mushroom from outdoors, give her peroxide to make her vomit and then take her right away to a vet, together with any pieces of the mushroom that might be available (yes, even if they were...ah...pre-digested).

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Aya

Thanks for all of the advice! I was asking about the need to wear gloves to make sure I didn't spread blight to anything else in my garden : )

The mushrooms won't hurt my other plants then? And I don't think my compost pile runs very hot..so I'll probably bag it and throw it away just to be safe.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

No, the mushrooms won't hurt the other plants. I've had a couple of types come up in my raised beds, and I let one type be and pulled the other. No problem with my veggies. :)

Cynthia

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”