Fig3825

Nearly microscopic yellow spheres in my soil

As I was replanting the garden I worked so hard on at the beginning of the summer and subsequently destroyed with over watering, various homemade pest remedies and such prior to adopting the "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" principle, I found a small grouping of really tiny yellow spheres in the soil. I wish I had the sense to take pictures, but I did not. Web searches 'tiny yellow eggs, spheres, etc"have only revealed things like snail eggs and ladybug eggs, which these things are not. Other searches revealed additives to soil, and this particular section included some mixed in 'moisture retaining soil'.

Anyway, it doesn't appear to be ANY of these as I have not seen it in the soil from the bag. To describe them a bit more, they were yellow and TINY (like smaller than a grain of sand, think 'the tip of a sewing needle tiny' - not the head of the needle, but the point) and almost has a phosphorescent hue to them.

At any rate, I dug the soil out and tossed it.

Anyone have a clue what it might have been? I recall having seen this before while gardening a couple years ago, but hadn't a clue what it was then either.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Iwould say a spider or even a small toad! Maybe you should put some in a jar and wait till the hatch. keep them in a cool shady place you may be surprized what they are! Those wasp eggs attached to the tomato worm sound similar bt are more white!!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Fig3825

I guess if I find them again, I can do this. Never really occurred to me to raise bugs. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what they are, but sounds like a big panic over nothing of any consequence. Relax.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Your vision must be excellent, to even see such a minute object.

Eric

Fig3825

As I said, they were so yellow they appeared phosphorescent, and it was a cluster of 100's. :wink: Not hard to see against dark soil!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”