dsrda85
Newly Registered

Peppers have black spots, Help! (pics)

peppers have black spots on them, looks like just the peppers tho, not on the stems or the leaves... any help qould be greatly appreciated... first time gardener so not to much knowledge of the problem... Thnaks in advance... hope the pics are clear...

[img]https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i468/dsrda85/2011-06-28_18-09-20_337.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i468/dsrda85/2011-06-28_18-09-12_288.jpg[/img]

Fig3825

I'm new, but could it be blossom end rot or sun scalding? Maybe test your soil, blossom end rot can happen when you have too much nitrogen in your soil.

dsrda85
Newly Registered

thats what I was afraid of... if it is blossom end rot, ive read about adding bone meal, and other suggestions on the internet... is it possible to add anything and help to cure the problem or are these plants just toast... should I pick the peppers off the plant?

Fig3825

I'm going to have to defer to someone who knows better than I. I searched for your problem and that is what I came up with. However, had I had this happen to my peppers prior to reading your post, I would have been the one posting this question. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, I don't think it is blossom end rot. BER causes not just blackening, but as the name suggests, rotting. The blackened end of the fruit will be soft, mushy, rotten. Yours don't look like that.

Even if it were BER, that only affects the fruit produced, not the plant. It is a result of certain conditions. IF the conditions are corrected, the plant will go on to produce perfectly normal fruits.

But as I said, I don't think that is what you have. I think sometimes over or under watering can cause your condition.

dsrda85
Newly Registered

Ok thanks... ill keep an eye on them... and I need to do a soil test anyways... thank for all the help!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

One thing that could help a little is not to let your plant crop so early in its growth.
I've found that it pays to let the plant get a little bigger before it's allowed to produce so that the roots system can cope with all thats expected of them.
You don't get less crop in the long run and you finish with a far bigger plant.

:?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But really it's pretty normal for peppers to color like that. Here's a picture someone sent in last year:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166436#166436

See jal's response...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”