LGithens
Newly Registered

how close to bolting can you use Spinach

I have a couple of rows of spinach this year. Because of weather, I got a very late start this year. The day after I got my garden ready to till, we had nearly a month of wet weather. This is my second year of having a garden.

So now my spinach is getting close to bolting. I planted Bloomsdale this year. I've noticed the last couple years that the leaves change from the crinkly rounder shape, to a more pointed slender shape. It is also starting to bolt. Does the leaf change affect the taste? How long can you keep using Spinach as it starts bolting?

Thanks!
Lori

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Could you blanch it and freeze it for later use?

I just pulled all of mine this week before it "took off."

orgoveg
Green Thumb

The flavor does get a little bitter with higher temperatures and especially after bolting. I believe the leaves also gather a small amount of toxins after bolting. You'd have to eat alot to get sick, but you probably wouldn't like the flavor, anyway.

Spinach is tricky (for me). It has to be real early and cool. You can do it again real late, but there isn't much time for growth in my neck of the woods.

LGithens
Newly Registered

I actually picked it off this morning, but am still leaving the smallest leaves as it hasn't really bolted yet, I've just had a couple of plants start to bolt, and I've been pulling all the leaves off of those and pulling up the rest of the plant.

I guess what I'm really asking is, I'm wondering why, as we get closer to the end, the leaves seem to change from the crinkly rounded shape to the slender pointed leaves. Is it because the spinach plant is close to bolting? Does it affect the flavor much? I noticed most of what I picked today was slender and pointy.

I am planning on planting another crop next fall. I'm hoping that I can do more rows and have some of that crop to freeze this year.

Lori

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Yes, the pointed leaves indicate that the plant is close to bolting. Yes, it affects the flavor a bit (but not terribly). You can still use them, especially if they will be cooked. The flavor is most bitter after bolting occurs.

You will need shade for your fall crop and don't sow them too early. If your climate is like mine, there won't be much time for the plants to get big. They want it cool, but after the first frost, growth stops. They will survive and tolerate some frost, but they won't grow any more. (That's been my experience, anyway).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”