SPierce
Greener Thumb

Trellising Lima Beans

So, I was estatic to notice this morning that my lima bean plants are starting to wind around the tomato cages I put in (upside down) for them to climb on and take over. They did it all on their own, too! Woo!

But, my question is, are 2 stacked tomato cages big, and high, enough for them to climb on and safe for them to do so? Should I add in another trellis behind it of some sort, once they reach the top?

Fig3825

I use a couple different things when I trellis. I made a huge one for my cucumbers out of 2x4's and wire fencing that is 7' tall. I made a smaller one (only 5' high) for my snow peas out of the Home Depot poly coated garden poles and poultry fencing. Just zip tied the poultry fence to the poles. I'll post picks when they are tall enough to confirm they are doing their job properly.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Fig3825 wrote:I use a couple different things when I trellis. I made a huge one for my cucumbers out of 2x4's and wire fencing that is 7' tall. I made a smaller one (only 5' high) for my snow peas out of the Home Depot poly coated garden poles and poultry fencing. Just zip tied the poultry fence to the poles. I'll post picks when they are tall enough to confirm they are doing their job properly.
Good to know- I have leftover chicken wire from my garden fence, that I will wrap around to make a extension on the cages, if i need too. They're growing up and winding around pretty quickly, and I bet they'll be even happier with the sunshine!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”