MrBoZiffer

Some rookie questions: blueberries, leaf curl, etc.

I've got a few questions I could use some help with, so any advice is appreciated.

1. I want to plant blueberries along a 90' fence line. I have acidic soil and there is good sun along this fence. However there a couple of big problems: (a) there are roots and stems left over from some big holly bushes that are in the way, and (b) the neighbor on the other side of the fence is using chemicals on his lawn which would probably impact the blueberries.

(a) The holly roots have stems that are about 5" wide and sticking up about 1" or 2" above the ground. Should I try to remove them or will the blueberry roots work around them? I'm considering building a slightly raised bed to provide a little room for the roots.

(b) There's not much I can do about the neighbor using chemicals.

Technically, this is a good site for the blueberries, but these seem like big obstacles. What do ya'll think? Too much trouble?

2. My tomatoes and basil have consistently had leaf curl and even some pale color from time to time. I did plenty of research but it seems like there are a variety of possibilities regarding leaf curl. Everything from aphid and worm infestation to excessive water and lack of nutrients seem viable. There have been aphids about but one good soaking of Neem+Soap got rid of them. Is there any consensus regarding the causes of leaf curl? Or is it just an open-ended symptom?

3. What is eating the leaves in my goldenrod? I have some that are growing well despite have big chunks of the leaves munched on. The only bug I've seen hanging around them is something that looks kind of like a small, gray SVB. I have not seen any SVB eggs and currently have no squash. Occasionally I've seen some black pellets that looks like mice turds on a few leaves. Any idea what this pest could be? I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Next time you might want to post separate questions- addressing the blueberries. They are shallow rooted so I would pull the holly roots if you can. The best advice I could give is that you go to the Oregon State Extension site and look for the blueberry publication and press view to read it on you computer, otherwise you have to buy it to see it. Oregon and Maine are blueberry country, so a lot of research has been done on blueberries in the state of Oregon. It was recommended to me 5-6 years ago and I found it to be excellent

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”