jbeckwith
Newly Registered

Green Beans lower leaves yellow and falling off

Help! I had this same problem last year at the same time. My new green bean plants are losing their lower leaves daily. Last year within 2 weeks they ended up just stems but still had green beans.

I have a raised garden and tilled a different area for them this year, put in good river bottom black dirt. I have tried organic fungicide and organic pest spray but nothing works. I really don't want to use anything unhealthy on them but I don't want to lose them again this year! My Tomatoes are also losing their lower leaves. However my peppers and cucumbers are thriving.

They have good drainage but we have had a ton of rain but last year we were short on rain but I had the same issues.

Any advise would be much appreciated!
Julie in Dittmer MO

greenstubbs

A few of my pole beans have started to do this. I have heard that they don't like a ton of H2O which I accidently did one day last week. I'm thinking that it but can't say for sure. I'm going to let them dry out this week as I"ve already picked 3+ lbs of beans and should have a couple more later this week. I'll be following this to see what others say. Good Luck

tilldave
Newly Registered

Dear Gardener,
I live just north of long Island Sound in CT. I too have experienced yellowing leaves on the bottom of my pole beans that drop off and leave bare stems. My bush beans are planted near by and are experiencing the same problem. The weather got warm fast this spring and the rain was a little more than normal. This is about the 4th year for me growing pole beans but the first time I've had this problem so acutely. My tomatoes have had plenty of early blight but are producing fruit well enough. I've used no chemicals but burnt a lot of brush in the garden this winter trying to duplicate an Amazon jungle method of fertilizing the ground with potash and compost. It there a blight that attacks pole beans? The weather is changing. Something may have my floated in from down south.

Blue Cohosh

I'm in Southern CT as well and I think my Kentucky Wonder pole beans have been afflicted by [url=https://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/bnrust.htm]bean rust[/url], which matches your description. The leaves turn yellow then rust colored and eventually fall off.

On my plants the leaves at the bottom were affected first. They've since fallen off and the problem is moving up the plants. They are still producing beans, though not very abundantly. I think I'll have to skip beans next year since my garden is small (less than 50 square feet) and I can't really do crop rotation.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”