applestar
Mod

For dinner tonight, I had onion blossoms (actually unopened buds in the pompom stage) as garnish -- liberally sprinkled on pasta and meat sauce. Yum! :D

gardenvt
Green Thumb

OK, so I will leave the tops alone. They are looking really good and growing so well. Our shallots are doing well also and we are hoping for a nice crop of single bulbs since started them from seed also.

I planted Leeks 6 inches deep May 4 and had to start blanching them again this week. Wow - these Musselburgh leeks are going to be something since they can stay in the ground until early winter/deep frost.

I plan to grow different onion varieties next year - Copra, Ailsa Craig and Red Wing.

Anyone have any thoughts about these varieties?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I assume you live up North, by your choices?

I really like Copra. Long storage. Growing them from seed for the first time. Started in Feb. in the greenhouse.

This photo I believe is some of the 2009 harvest.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/CopraOnions.jpg[/img]

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried those varieties. I am growing Utah Yellow Sweet Spanish, and Big Daddy onions this year for storage onions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I haven't tried those varieties. I am growing Utah Yellow Sweet Spanish, and Big Daddy onions this year for storage onions.
Dang I meant to get Big Daddy as per your comments. Maybe next year. :P

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm growing Copra and Redwing for storage. I plan to use the huge Ailsa Craig for carmelizing and freezing for later use.

Where do you purchase your Big Daddy onions?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I get the Big Daddy onions locally at a garden store. They come as a bundle of small plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, onions are not planted deep. The bulbs develop mostly above ground. When they have their size tip all the tops over so they can start to dry up before pulling the onions. Then pull the onions and let them dry some more on top of the ground (or in the garage spread out if its stormy) before cutting off the tops and storing them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”