erinduke

Squirrels...

How do I protect my veggies from squirrels? I'm sure there are more floridians facing this problem. They're nuts! They stole my jalapenos..

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Are you sure it's the squirrels? I have gray squirrels everywhere on and around my property and they've never been a problem in the garden. It probably helps that I have an oak tree with acorns to keep them happy. It would take a complete cage or electric fence to keep them out permanently. They go anywhere they want. I might try putting some kind of food plot out for them away from the garden. They might be overpopulated in your area, in which case they're looking for food wherever they can find it.

Just my rambling thoughts :)

johnny123

That is right.
If they are going to be around one way or another set up some feeders away from the garden with black oil sunflower seeds.

I have never seen the squirrels that live around my place ever go in the garden.
Also I have oak trees that keep them happy.

They will go for the black oil sunflower seeds before an acorn.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I went with chicken wire around the entire garden. Worked pretty well :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Did you actually see the squirrels take your produce? I ask because Florida has a major problem with roof rats. Roof rats will eat just about anything, whereas squirrels are more particular. Although I realize some jalapenos are mild, I would be somewhat surprised to hear of a squirrel taking a pepper. Pepper spray is used as a deterrent against squirrels.

When did your peppers disappear ... during the day or at night? Squirrels are active during the day, from just after dawn until just before sunset. Roof rats are active during the night, from just after sunset until just before dawn.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”