Aya

Is it too late to start over?

So even though I put a 3 foot fence around my garden, my dog still managed to somehow get into it. She pulled up my one remaining pea plant, trompled all of my strawberries and tore up my carrots. And my cherry tomato plant has blight, even though I pruned it and sprayed it with rubbing alcohol as suggested. My question is, is it too late to start over with just my cool season veggies? We've only had a few days in the 70's so far this year, so I'm guessing it will be an unusually cool summer. I also am having a bit of trouble with soil compaction. Should I till in the compost I have brewing and call it a day or can I replant peas, carrots, blackeyed peas, and salad greens?

I've definitely got to re-evaluate my fencing situation. Next year my dog will be as tall as my waist..so 3 ft obviously won't keep her out if it doesn't now :roll:

Sorry for being so long winded...any suggestions?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Train the puppy, reward with strawberries. :wink: :shock:

When I'm in the garden, so are the pups.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Dogs%20%20Jacob%20and%20Pepper/GardenJune22nd2011018.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Dogs%20%20Jacob%20and%20Pepper/GardenJune22nd2011017.jpg[/img]

I give them strawberries, snap peas etc...

Jacob and Peppercorn pretty much stay on the paths. They like to lay down in the hay.

I would replant the carrots for sure, but wait until fall for your peas.

Eric

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I don't know where "The Emerald City" is without Googling it, but most parts of the country would be fine for carrots and salad greens now (except spinach) if you can provide some shade.

I had a border collie that was a problem in the garden. I ran a steel cable from my deck to a tree (about 55 feet) and hung a chain with a pulley from it. I made the length of the chain so that he could just reach the edge of the garden, but not get in it. He could still do plenty of running and horsing around. You could do the same between a couple of tall, sturdy posts.

Aya

I figured next year I'd do a post/wire or short picket fence around the perimeter of the entire garden.

@DDF: I love this idea, but at the moment, I barely fit in my garden so I'm hoping next year I'll have more room so she can join me in the garden as well :)

@Orgo: I guess I should re-label my location to WA state : )
The Emerald City is a nickname for Seattle. We're just north of it, in Marysville

soil
Greener Thumb

train them to stay on the paths like DDF. I used to have the same problem with the dog running through all my plants. he learned after I got pissed off only a few times. now he stays out of the growing areas and on paths.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:train them to stay on the paths like DDF. I used to have the same problem with the dog running through all my plants. he learned after I got pissed off only a few times. now he stays out of the growing areas and on paths.
Ditto here. My now 8 month old pup knows to stay out now. Even though I have low fences she would jump them than quickly get chewed out. She no longer goes in. My last dog another pit bull seemed to use plants as stepping stones. If she was in the garden she was stomping something. :evil: :lol:

Aya

Calypso does it when I'm not in the garden. When she's outside, she figures the entire yard belongs to her. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For me carrots take a pretty long time, not sure about replanting them this late. But definitely all your cool weather stuff can be replanted. Now, if your summer stays cool, or wait 4-6 weeks if you will have summer heat and then replant all the cool weather stuff- lettuce spinach kale broccoli etc.

Swiss chard you could definitely replant now, because it doesn't mind summer heat as much as the other leafy greens.

You still have time to replant some of the quick growing warm weather crops like beans.

I don't have dogs, so can't really advise on that part, but it does sound like training is very important.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”