jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

June 21 Pictures

Rather than put so many pictures in a message, I made a page on the net.

[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/June/garden_june.html]Click at your own risk. It is photo heavy.[/url]

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Wow. Your cool weather crops grew fast.

applestar
Mod

Looks great!

James, what do you do with the extra greens? I hadn't thought about the amount of more perishable vegs you grow too. Do you sell them/give them away?

I remember gumbo had posted that he cooks down greens and... freeze them? I think?

This year, I was less careful about marking down what I planted where and I have been having trouble ID'ing greens vs. tops of root vegs PLUS I planted some that are not as familiar to me, with the result that I have been hesitant to harvest greens wondering if they are tops of root crops :roll: :lol:
Your photos are helping me some. :wink:

I may have to go back to individually marked rows or blocks until I learn to ID them better. :oops:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WOW.....I am jealous. I have a hard time growing greens in TN. When I lived near Chicago I could grow greens.

jstrausss

wow so jealous of so many things on your site and man I love the scenery shot.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Apple, I give some produce away, and sell some at the farmer's market. What I take to market that doesn't sell I take to the food bank. I do not try to preserve greens by freezing nor bottling. What doesn't get used that way is worm food.

I am giggling at what you said about not labeling your plantings. I don't label either. For the most part I can tell what things are from the seedling stage, but the cabbage, broccoli and kohlrabi, look a lot alike when first up. None of those are harvested early as greens so I will know them long before harvest time. I plant around 30 varieties of veggies so it is always a surprise when things come up here or there. :lol:

Due to our goofy weather this year, my warm loving varieties were slow to germinate. I replanted some beans and squash and moved (transplanted) one row of corn to thicken up the other rows. I noticed yesterday that my water melon is coming up. It has been planted quite a while. I was afraid it was going to fail to germinate. I still don't have many cukes up. They are really warm weather guys.

Have a great garden!

shadowsmom

Everything looks great!

You'll chuckle at this - Someone walked behind my desk as I was looking at the photos and asked if it was my yard. I said sure - doesn't it look like NJ with the snow topped mountains?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted some late beets and they are just coming up. All that is in this pic is not beets. Can you pick out the beets?

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/beet_seedling.jpg[/img]

I also have some red cabbage in the same stage.

applestar
Mod

The cluster of 3 with red vein/stem has to be the beets.
The seedlings just above and below look similar but no quite -- spinach? Swiss chard?

The pointy seed leaves to the bottom right look like parsley?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

4 beets. 3 together on the left and one on the right.

Some of the others look like crabgrass.

applestar
Mod

The one next to the "parsley" I thought looked like crabgrass too... And the one next to the stick at the bottom.

Yeah, you're right -- the upper right one looks just like the triplets.

Aya

Jal

What kinds of peas are you growing? I love the beautiful red/pink flowers! My pea flowers are white..

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Wonderful as always even with your frozen showy late start you are still kicking butt. :shock: Your chard is looking better than mine. I have been planting it in intervals for months. What actually germinated is finally coming up but very small still. Heck even you squash is about the same size as mine which have been in the ground for a while.

Would you mail me some of your soil please. :P

Again nice job, still can't wait for your harvest it is always impressive.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Wow to the corn. I planted mine June 1, and it is only, well, I'm embarrassed to say. Not even close to as tall as yours. I'm getting roughly a 30% germination rate too. This year, if anything pollinates, I am using it for seed for next year :cry:

Fig3825

How do you keep bugs out of your garden? The ones you don't want in it... :wink:

bogydave

Great pictures
All your plants look great.
My beets are ahead of yours. But thats about it.
How long is your growing season? Here typically done by the end of Aug.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Your garden looks wonderful. I am curious about the temps you are experiencing now.

I'm a nut about labeling everything or mapping it out. I have no clue what happened to my tomatoes this year but none of the labels match the tomatoes. I also labeled the pots but I don't recall checking that when planting.

So, the mystery in my garden this year is 18 varieties of tomatoes (22 plants). I left the labels in the pots as planted knowing I would move them around later. My husband was surprised when I told him which of the cherry types is Sweetie last night. It has a very distinct shape so I am ready to move those labels. This will certainly be interesting as I try to name all of the black varieties.

As for the beets, I think the red veined leaves are the beets.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I just put up a sign: "No Bad Bugs Allowed!"

Zapatay

I think we've seen photos of bird houses around the garden area - Do you still have them?

Speaking of signs - We planted veggies in the front yard. Last year deer ate them. My 5 year old wanted to put up a sign that said "Deer Go Away" and she was confident they wouldn't do anything to the plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your garden looks wonderful. I am curious about the temps you are experiencing now.
Yesterday it got up to 82°. The corn is really starting to grow now. It will likely make the traditional "Knee high by the 4th of July" status. It is getting watered at present. I must go shut off the water in a few minutes.

I think we've seen photos of bird houses around the garden area - Do you still have them?
Yes, several bird houses. We feed the birds year round. There is a lot of birds around the yard. I am sure the birds help hold down the insect population.

Lex

Now THAT is a garden. Thanks for the awesome pictures!

How in the heck do you keep your garden so free of weeds? I'm experimenting with mulching with leaves, to great success. If I had any bare soil like you have, it'd be covered with weeds in a few days.

Those seeds you sent me are doing great, jal! I have a nice little row of onions (gonna harvest them as green -- can't wait!), a row of beets tat are valiantly struggling against insect damage, and one very happy grey watermelon plant that I didn't know I wasn't supposed to start indoors and transplant. Thanks for the great seeds.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How in the heck do you keep your garden so free of weeds?
Another poster asked what I did about bugs.

I just train the bugs to eat the weeds. ;)

Glad things are growing good for you.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/ss_7_6_2011_1.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/rainbow_7_13_2011.jpg[/img]

Rainbow over my garden this evening.

applestar
Mod

Gorgeous! And th 2nd faint hues of the double rainbow to the left.
It really looks like there should be a pot of gold just over those mountains. :D

shadowsmom

The photo looks like a painting, it's so perfect! Beautiful view.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/bucket_fulla_spinach.jpg[/img]

Spinach

applestar
Mod

...what you found at the end of the rainbow? :>

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”