hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tricky Squash Bugs!

In hot weather I water twice per day and inspect for pests and disease while doing so. The squash are watched especially closely for clusters of orange/brown squash bug eggs. I figure that the number of the pests is proportional to the number that are actually seen. So far this summer numbers have been very low. When watering I watch for the bugs as they generally move away from the water stream.

Well, today I saw a few more clusters than usual, and maybe a couple of adults, but nothing special. While watering and squishing the egg clusters, I happens to notice on the opposite side of the plants, there must have been a dozen or more adults plus a few nymphs in sight where they moved away from my activity. I promptly sprayed them with water so that they would sit and not scurry away. Then proceeded to squish the critters. While doing that, I lifted leaves and behold there were 100 or more adults and immature bugs of all sizes. There are now over 100 dead squash bugs in the area.

What I'm wondering is this. All summer I've squished the eggs that were routinely found on the TOP of the leaves. I wonder if that process was selecting against the bugs that tend to lay the eggs in view, and was selecting for the bugs who are more sneaky and lay eggs on the undersides and in out of the way parts of the plants.

Anyway, I culled all weak/yellowish leaves and pruned the plants back to a more manageable size. There are far less places for the bugs to hide, and I'll be very aggressive in finding and squishing the critters over the next several days. If the infestation persists, I'll pull these somewhat tired vines and then will be quite diligent in keeping the bugs from my young replacement plants.

The bugs out foxed me this year, but live and learn. I'll be much more careful in my daily inspections from now on.

johnny123

You never know what mother nature can do.
Put some boards around.
They like to hide under them.
Lift the boards and attack.
PS: Watch out for snakes under the boards also.
Try some squash bug scented traps.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

in my experience, many of the garden pests that lay eggs on leaves prefer the underside. better defenses, and all.

could be you were just removing the ones that were bound to be fodder for something else anyway...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Killed another 25-50 bugs this afternoon. That is only on two plants!

ozark_rocks

Yes, they can be tricky. Been going out three times a day to squish them here in Arkansas. When they first showed up there were lots on every plant. Now it's slowing down a bit.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”