davefromwestchester

Growing carrots

Hi all,

Last year we try some disorganized carrot growing, planted from seed, did some thinning out, but not in any orderly way in terms of a bed dedicated to them, sort of scattered, BUT the end result was ok-good. Quite a few carrots came in in Sept and Oct and some were quite tasty, a little stunted, and some really knarly, but otherwise a semi success.

So this year a did it a little more scientifically...created a 10 by 6 foot bed, working in good airated soil, and planted row to keep track of the, again planting from seed, and thinning out the past few weeks, and so far so good. The only question I have is this: What was one nice soft airated soil now has a hard-ish crust of soil on top, with all of the small rocks and pebbles on the surface. UNDER the surface the soil is still pretty soft as I've been transplanting constantly and haven't lost any carrots so far. Is this normal that the surface soil gets kind of hard and crusty, I just don't know how to re-work it, or if it's even necessary.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Dave

bogydave

If the carrots have sprouted, everything should be fine.
If the soil is too crusted to allow seed sprouts to push thru, then you have a problem & keeping it damp should help.
Mixing in some compost is one of the best ways to amend tight soil.
Usually the top layer gets washed as it rains or you water so the part you see is the same throughout the 6 - 8 " of soil. ( you see the gravel now because it's clean) Your description sounds like a top-soil mix that I bought a truck load of years back for my yard (an organics, clay, sand & small gravel mix) & the surface is getting real wet, drying out & causing the fines to lock together on the surface.
If it needs to be loosened up, pure compost would be a good addition to mix in.
In my garden, I sprinkle about 1/4" of fine grain garden compost (I rub it between my hands to break up any chunks) as seed cover which doesn't compact, with good results.

johnny123

Putting a thin layer of peat over the soil also helps keep moisture in.

dearmad

Or straw if you're concerned about acidity at all.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, sounds like they are up if you are thinning. Don't worry about that surface crusty look. Not a problem once they have germinated.

davefromwestchester

A so appreciate these responses and my mind is at rest. Yes the carrots have sprouted, the shoots are anywhere from an inch to 5-6 inches high, all doing very well. And next year I'll follow your advice about mixing in fine composting material. I also think I'll build the bed deeper and fill it with better medium, which will prbably eliminate weeds, which I'm battling a bit, but isnt that bad, Thanks again!!!

DR

bogydave

[quote="davefromwestchester"]And next year I'll follow your advice about mixing in fine composting material. I also think I'll build the bed deeper and fill it with better medium, which will prbably eliminate weeds, which I'm battling a bit, but isnt that bad, Thanks again!!!

DR[/quote]

If you find a garden friendly medium that will eliminate weeds,
Market it fast, you'll be rich. LOL
Thumb & index finger are my weed control. Recent rain has cause millions of new weeds to sprout.

davefromwestchester

Darn, I was hoping there might be a solution to the weeds, guess not. I also have a part time job weeding...amazing how relentless and abundant it can be. Thanks.
bogydave wrote:
davefromwestchester wrote:And next year I'll follow your advice about mixing in fine composting material. I also think I'll build the bed deeper and fill it with better medium, which will prbably eliminate weeds, which I'm battling a bit, but isnt that bad, Thanks again!!!

DR
If you find a garden friendly medium that will eliminate weeds,
Market it fast, you'll be rich. LOL
Thumb & index finger are my weed control. Recent rain has cause millions of new weeds to sprout.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It really helps with the weeding to keep everything well mulched. Does that mean you will never see a weed? No, of course not, but it definitely minimizes the weeding chores.

newtogarden
Newly Registered

I'm glad you all have had luck with carrots mine never grew :(
I bought one of those seed tape things and let my neighbor daughter help me spread it out, she's 3, my dilemma is everytime she sees me( which is almost daily) she asks where are her carrots. YIKES!!!!!! The soft hearted person I am doesn't have the heart to tell her they aren't growing,so horrible horrible me has let grass grow where they were planted. I'm even thinking about going to the store when I start harvesting everything else and buying carrots with the tops and bury them and let her pull them out. HELP HOW DO I LET MY BABYGIRL DOWN EASILY? :( :?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Go to the store and buy a bunch of carrots with tops, stick them in the dirt and have the girl help you harvest all of them...solves the problem until next year.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

First off forget the tape.

Just spread seed and as mentioned weeding is important. the weeding is not only weeding but thinning' those thinning you can eat. Soil quality is important but I plant thick and thin from there. You should have a ton of carrots.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I usually plant carrots thick in beds mixed with lettuce and radish! When the lettuce and radish are done I have 100's of thinned carrots in the beds. If I wanted just carrots I would strain the first two inches of top soil I got from below my garden surface soil and mix it with light wet sand but keep it wet for a week! I keep it wet by putting burlap over it just like you plant grass. Once the carrots break the surface you have a carrot garden! Carrots are weak breakers of crusted soil and will not make it if its dry for the first week!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”