Inailum
Cool Member

Super Sugar Snap Peas

I already have one post out there about these little fellas but I have another question. I read that I can plant these Sept. - May and I know that they are a cool weather crop but I'm wondering if I can plant them all winter. They are one of my most favs in the garden and I would love to keep a constant supply but I worried that frost my kill them. Maybe I could plant them in a planter on the patio? Any input, anyone?

johnny123

I think you mean plant may-sept for most areas.
Yes I think frost will do them in if they freeze solid.
Last edited by johnny123 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inailum
Cool Member

johnny123 wrote:I think you mean plant may-sept for most areas.
Yes I think frost will do them in.
Nope, my seed package says I can plant Sept.-May because of the area I'm in. Not May-Sept. What the heck, I think I will plant some in the garden in September and then try them in pots on the patio. Never hurts to try right?

johnny123

They can take a frost but if temps stay low and they really freeze that is when they get into trouble.
If your area get's a light frost now and then you should be ok.

soil
Greener Thumb

we live in CA and grow fall snow peas as well as spring crop. they can handle cold temps, even snow. they just don't do so well when its dark and rainy for days upon end. that's usually when the powdery mildew gets them. we plant them. plant them in mid September or earlier if its a cool September.

johnny123

Right, They can take some frost and snow but they can't freeze solid.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”