I read that bacterial wilt sets in on cucumber plants about 30 days after the cuke beetles start feeding on the plant. I didn't realize this is the way it works. I have just been trying to pick them off as I see them. In the past couple days there seem to be more than before.
So I'm thinking if it's not too late, I'll buy some Surround Kaolin Clay to spray on them--but it's $25 a bag, and if my plants are going to get the wilt anyway---should I spend the money?
The article I read said this,
"About 30 days after the infected beetles start to feed on a plant, the water-carrying pores in the plant stems become clogged with bacteria and the plant wilts dramatically and dies. It's very important to get rid of the cucumber beetles, their eggs and larvae."
So--if the bacteria builds up on it's own by growing in the pores, to try to fix it now may be futile--but if the pores get clogged by the beetles continuing to infect the plant with bacteria as time goes on, then it wouldn't be too late....
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.