orgoveg
Green Thumb

bugs/eggs

I have the pictured "things" on my 2nd year kale plant which I am using to collect seeds. They don't move and I can't tell if they are bugs or eggs (aphids?). I need to collect some and look under magnification, but they probably look familiar to some of you. In the first photo, you can see the darkened stem compared to the one next to it. In the second photo, you can see the yellowing of the leaves. For these reasons, I suspect that they are spreading a disease. In both photos, you can see the seed pods in the background. Many of them are covered with these things.

When the rain quits, I want to treat the plant appropriately but it would sure help to know what they are.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/arszd.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/brszd.jpg[/img]

johnny123

See if they are really eggs stuck to the stem or root initials growing out of the stem.

Root Initials
[img]https://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae263/nemf/imagesCA1QNCFY.jpg[/img]

johnny123

Nevermind, I enlarged your picture and it seems there are some under some leaves also.
No I don't know what they are.

applestar
Mod

I believe they are aphids, but I see some that have been mummified by the Aphid Mummy Maker wasps -- those are the dried looking tan ones and if the wasps have hatched, will have a tiny hole in them.

The seeds are almost ready. I think it will be OK to leave the aphids since the mummy makers are at work. Just keep the aphids off the seed stalks and pods.

Oh, I reread and you do say they're on the seed pods -- take a tall cup like an extra-large fast-food soda cup, fill with soap solution and dip and swish away, then rinse with water.

applestar
Mod

Hah! In fact I think I see a Mummy Maker Wasp on the leaf next to the knot.

johnny123

Good Eye!!!!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Ah! Parasitic wasps. Beneficial insects at work! I did notice a few of those tiny winged critters but I didn't know what they were. If you hadn't told me, I would have been hitting them with soap spray.

That's pretty exciting to me. Most folks just wouldn't understand that :)

Thanks.

applestar
Mod

I can totally relate. :D

This is a good opportunity to look them over and learn to recognize them. I see another winged one that I think is winged aphid (bad) -- they tend to appear when aphid population explode, OR they help start one. You want to be able to tell which is what. :wink:

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I took a good magnifying glass out and looked as close as I could, but I could not make out the body shapes of the winged insects. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but I still don't need glasses :) I tried to get better photos with the lense, but they didn't turn out any better. So, I can't tell the difference between a wasp and a winged aphid. I think the wasps were originally attracted to my yarrow flowers. You can see the yarrow in the photo. I had to cut the flower stalks down to give more light to my eggplants and to prevent the yarrow from dropping seeds everywhere.

Here, I was delighted to see a ladybug at work.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/ladybug.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

There's a ladybug in that last photo.....another beneficial.

Hey, we should make this into a game :idea:. See if you can spot the harmful and helpful insects.....winner gets a spray bottle of soapy-water solution :lol:.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:There's a ladybug in that last photo.....another beneficial.

Hey, we should make this into a game :idea:. See if you can spot the harmful and helpful insects.....winner gets a spray bottle of soapy-water solution :lol:.
You didn't read the sentence right before the photo :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”