MrBoZiffer

What's going on with these cucumbers?

Maybe I was too late or too soon to harvest these two cucumbers, but they don't look right to me. Hopefully the plant isn't sick. Any thoughts? Thanks!

[img]https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/mrboziffer/garden/DSC_0063.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/mrboziffer/garden/DSC_0064.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think you need some bees. Pollination was non-existent in the first pic and only partial in the second.

MrBoZiffer

Pollination? Wow, that's interesting. I obviously still have a lot to learn. Coincidentally, these cukes are in a large container that were away from bees. This weekend I moved them closer to my garden, so they should get more attention from bees. Thanks!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I think you need some bees. Pollination was non-existent in the first pic and only partial in the second.
Hmmm, if there was no pollination, how would a cuke grow at all?

jstrausss

garden5 wrote:
jal_ut wrote:I think you need some bees. Pollination was non-existent in the first pic and only partial in the second.
Thats a great question. I'm very curious to know because I do not know anything about bees a pollination and how all that works.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good question indeed. Quite often with the cucurbits when the blosson does not get polllinized the fruit will shrivel up and drop off. Obviously this cuke did put on a little meat, but you can see in the first pic that there are no seeds. There is a void where the seed should be. The second cuke got a little pollen, but only enough for about half the seed.

I am of the opinion that with cukes or squash, the bees are more likely to find them and work them, if there is a large number of plants. They may miss one single plant. It is a known fact with honey bees that they will only work one species on a trip to the field. If you don't have enough cuke blossoms for a be to get a load, you may not have any bees on your few blossoms. Honey bees are not the only pollinators. There are many wild bees. It is a good idea to have a succession of bloom of various flowers in your garden so the bees will come to your lot. Bachelor buttons, chives and any of the mint family are great to attract lots of bees. When I say mint family I will exclude peppermint because of its agresisve habit. It spreads all over and you can't get rid of it. Sage and Oregano are good.

jstrausss

wow this stuff is pretty interesting

MrBoZiffer

Yes, lots of good info. Thanks!

I have these cukes in a container that has some marigolds in it. I also had some mint in another container next to it (although it's gone now). Both were away from my garden that has plenty of flowers. Obviously most of the bees are around the garden. I've since moved everything into the garden, so hopefully things will improve.

dearmad

I LOVE bees!!!

I have 3 species floating around my gardens right now! I LOVE THEM! :P

Go ahead and talk about cukes now... but: I LOVE BEES!!!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

garden5 wrote:
I'm thinking there had to be at least some pollination in the first one. AFAIK each seed is the result of a pollination event, and fertilized seeds produce a growth hormone that cause the fruit to grow.

For the OP, try hand-pollinating your next batch of female flowers. There are dozens of pictorials online on how to do this (and yes, they're all safe for work :D). [url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs398]Here's one.[/url]

MrBoZiffer

TheWaterbug wrote: For the OP, try hand-pollinating your next batch of female flowers. There are dozens of pictorials online on how to do this (and yes, they're all safe for work :D). [url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs398]Here's one.[/url]
:lol:

That's a helpful link. Although now I feel like an idiot. I was out there shaking corn because I noticed the "dust" falling from the tassels and thought it looked cool. Hopefully I didn't waste any pollen...... :roll: :D

nosta

jal_ut wrote:
Good question indeed. Quite often with the cucurbits when the blosson does not get polllinized the fruit will shrivel up and drop off. Obviously this cuke did put on a little meat, but you can see in the first pic that there are no seeds. There is a void where the seed should be. The second cuke got a little pollen, but only enough for about half the seed.

I am of the opinion that with cukes or squash, the bees are more likely to find them and work them, if there is a large number of plants. They may miss one single plant. It is a known fact with honey bees that they will only work one species on a trip to the field. If you don't have enough cuke blossoms for a be to get a load, you may not have any bees on your few blossoms. Honey bees are not the only pollinators. There are many wild bees. It is a good idea to have a succession of bloom of various flowers in your garden so the bees will come to your lot. Bachelor buttons, chives and any of the mint family are great to attract lots of bees. When I say mint family I will exclude peppermint because of its agresisve habit. It spreads all over and you can't get rid of it. Sage and Oregano are good.

What he said. :D

SOB
Green Thumb

dearmad wrote:I LOVE bees!!!

As someone who is allergic to bees but LOVES my garden......I am torn when it comes to bees :?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SOB wrote:
dearmad wrote:I LOVE bees!!!

As someone who is allergic to bees but LOVES my garden......I am torn when it comes to bees :?
Further OT, but check out my [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206411#206411]beehive relocation video.[/url]

MrBoZiffer

I've had a few more grow without many seeds, but the meat looks good. They smell pretty good too. Are these edible? Would they just taste bland?

There's a few others coming in that look more promising.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”