gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My modest onion harvest

Not the greatest but these are from Lowe's a lot of them came out small. Just wait until you see my Candy onions (not from Lowe's) those suckers are big. I am so excited this is my best onion year ever. Oh yeah my carrot thinning made it into the pic as well. Anyone need carrots I have hundreds of them. :lol: This is actually turning out to be a great year so far last year was horrid as some of you remember.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC05261.jpg[/img]

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Nice! I would be really happy with those onions.

applestar
Mod

Looking GOOD! Your kids are going to love the carrots. maybe share a couple with the pup as well :D

The onions are for the grownups! :lol: :wink:

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

Dandy onions.
I'm guessing someone's gonna have a big, grilled burger this weekend, with a fat, sweet slice of onion.

applestar
Mod

:lol: Gixx might need to stock up on breath mints. :>

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

BrianIllinois wrote:Dandy onions.
I'm guessing someone's gonna have a big, grilled burger this weekend, with a fat, sweet slice of onion.
It's fathers day how about a Porterhouse and grilled shrimp with onions. :wink: :P

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

We need a "green with envy" emoticon. Mine all together would look like a sickly bunch of supermarket green onions.

Is that a real coon hound in the background, or just a red dog?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote::lol: Gixx might need to stock up on breath mints. :>
C'mon how's about a big oniony, galrlicy smooch Apple. LMFAO

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:We need a "green with envy" emoticon. Mine all together would look like a sickly bunch of supermarket green onions.

Is that a real coon hound in the background, or just a red dog?
That is Lucy my American Pit Bull Terrier.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Lucy/DSC04980.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Lucy/Picture004.jpg[/img]
I just love this dog. :flower:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Them's some nice lookin onions there. Candy is a sweet onion, Yes? Not a storage onion?

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Interesting DDF I heard from the Bajou Gardener they are good keepers. He is an old skool backwoods farmer. I am totally looking forward to how they do since they all went to flower.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, Gix! That's a great harvest!

When did you plant them?

I planted mine at the end of Apr. and they haven't even started bulbing yet.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Territorial gives them a Fair storing ability. That's sounds good to me. :D

Eric

orgoveg
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote: I planted mine at the end of Apr. and they haven't even started bulbing yet.
I got mine in the ground early April and they've barely started bulbing. St. Louis is further south than us, so I guess that makes a difference.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hopefully these will do good DDF.

G5 My long lost onion buddy. :lol: I put these in late March early April I can't remember. You should see my other onions. I will by from them again I can tell you that.

I should add (especially for you G5:wink: ) I had a few rows of onions I seeded and well they are nowhere to be seen. They all died but the set and plants i put in are doing good to great.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice onions!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Nice onions!
Thanks some of them are pretty big for red onions. I don't even know the variety they were just labeled as "red Onions"

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Great Harvest!

I like the red ones on sandwiches.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Hopefully these will do good DDF.

G5 My long lost onion buddy. :lol: I put these in late March early April I can't remember. You should see my other onions. I will by from them again I can tell you that.

I should add (especially for you G5:wink: ) I had a few rows of onions I seeded and well they are nowhere to be seen. They all died but the set and plants i put in are doing good to great.
:lol: I remember last year's onion experiments. I wasn't able to start any from seed this year, so I just bought some plants from the store (walla walla). To be honest, the store-bought plants outperformed the home-started ones last year anyway. I think I need to start mine earlier so that they are larger when they go in.

I'm looking forward to seeing your other, big ones.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

BP

gixxerific wrote:Interesting DDF I heard from the Bajou Gardener they are good keepers. He is an old skool backwoods farmer. I am totally looking forward to how they do since they all went to flower.
I'm a member over there too. The Bayou Gardener (Donald) has a slicer and slices most of his candy onions and freezes them. I think they grow better the farther south you go.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

BP wrote:
gixxerific wrote:Interesting DDF I heard from the Bajou Gardener they are good keepers. He is an old skool backwoods farmer. I am totally looking forward to how they do since they all went to flower.
I'm a member over there too. The Bayou Gardener (Donald) has a slicer and slices most of his candy onions and freezes them. I think they grow better the farther south you go.
I saw that and it is a pretty good idea. What he does is he has a dicer that he dices a bunch of onions than freezes them. That seems pretty handy whenever you need onion just reach in and grab a handful and walla semi fresh onions still better than the store bought ones. I may try that this year and see how it works. I use onions in everything that would be great for me.

VeggieGardenGal

Re: My modest onion harvest

Your onions look great to me. Very Nice

mattie g
Green Thumb

Re: My modest onion harvest

Great looking dog, gixx!

And the onions are nice, too...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”