annastasia76

hot pepper spray?

will a hot pepper spray help deter rabbits?? I have rabbits eating my beans and okra, I can't get a brake. I purchased a bunch of jalapenos and cayenne (not sure it that is the correct spelling) powder, what's the best way to make the spray??

Also, once they are starting to produce, can this spray be washed off before eaten to prevent us from burning our mouths or getting me sick (I can't eat jalapenos, well I can handle a tiny bit)

nosta

cayennes
theyre hotter :D

annastasia76

does anybody know if they will take care of the bunnies, I have only read online about bugs.

Last night they somehow managed to get into the garden and decimate my okra, it's gone almost to the ground. spent hours putting up fencing to keep them out, unless they are going through the tiny holes I don't know how they are getting in. the bunnies around here are fairly large.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes I have also heard garlic works as well.

Here is a link on how to make some it is very easy.
https://www.ehow.com/video_8300635_hot-pepper-spray-garden-recipe.html

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Your sprayer will clog with just a couple of spritzes if you do it the way she does it in the video. It has to be strained through a coffee filter or some folks gave me good ideas here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36770

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:Your sprayer will clog with just a couple of spritzes if you do it the way she does it in the video. It has to be strained through a coffee filter or some folks gave me good ideas here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36770
Oops sorry I didn't think of that. I was in a hurry. :oops: Yes, definitely filter it.

annastasia76

well the pepper spray didn't seem to work, I sprayed it on my plants and the next day they were eaten even more. I think I did discover what has been eating them though. I believe it's ground squirrels and no amount of fencing will be able to stop them, I guess it's about time to give up on my beans!!!

dave103069

This is what I use and it seems to work for me for most critters, deer, rabits, squirls, chimpmuncks & bugs..

I use fresh items

Get a one gallon jug to make the mixture - then you will need a spray bottle to apply

Habenero peppers cut open - about 5 or 6 - you can use other peppers
Garlic - about 10 cloves just smashed a little
Egg Shells - about 5 or 6 eggs worth
Fill the rest of the jug with HOT water but leave a liitle room for last item
Dish Soap - about a cup worth - I use plain green palmolive
Leave outside for a couple days to ferment
Then pour the liquid only into a spray bottle and spray on plants at night

Seems to work for me on keeping things away...
Last edited by dave103069 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Looks like a good recipe Dave but what are the egg shells for?

dave103069

the eggs shells are added for the deer. They apperently do not like eggs..

dave103069

also remember not to spray into the wind otherwise you may be in for some pain if you get it in your eyes. learned that one by experience.

As stated in one of the earlier post the spayer will clog if you use ground spices which is why I use all fresh stuff to prevent that..

Also to answer the other question about washing it off, yes. This mix is not harmful and will wash off easily.. I spray at night and water in the early morning so most of it washes off then so it is a minimal issue when pick the veggies that may still have some spray on it..

annastasia76

thank you, I will try again but what ever has been eating my plants seems to have been attracted even more to the plants with the Cayenne pepper spray. I sprayed it on some plants that hadn't been touched too much by the critters just to keep them away, well this morning most of those plants have been eaten to the ground.

dave103069

Give the recipe a try and see if it works. I'm thinking it should, especially if you use habaneros and follow the directions.. Also don't just spray the plants and the leaves but also spray some of the ground around the all the plants so it will hopefullly deter them before they even get to the plants..

Good luck..

annastasia76

I'll see if I can find any habaneros in the store. I didn't see any last time I was there, I think they only carry jalapenos and seranos.

dave103069

jalapenos are fine. I just used habenero because I had them in the freezer from last years crop...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Put a motion detector light in your garden but replace the light bulbs with an electric bell, buzzer or horn. Set the time for very short.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”