gardenvt
Green Thumb

Walking Onions

tell me about walking onions - when to plant,etc.

thanks

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I planted some accidentally last fall when planting garlic. I had the seed heads, knew they were onions but not what exactly they were. They are some crazy, gnarly plants! Right now they are making new seed heads. They don't make large bulbs, I use them like green onions.

Interesting plant, I'll save some seed heads and replant in a better spot this fall.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I grew them a good number of years ago . . . and, got more last year :roll: .

I need to say right off that I'm not a fan of the green, walking onion. They show up real early and that is a big plus. However, they are hot!

The chives show up real early, too. And, I'm not about to pass by the chives during the best days of their season and go for the walking onions instead.

And, they are messy :? . They sprawl . . . so, why did I plant them again?? Well, I can't remember the taste of the bulblets! Or, even if I ever tried eating those little topset bulbs. So, what choice do I have?

As Hit or Miss says, they are showing up right now! Before they sprawl all over the place - I'll harvest those little bulbs and give 'em a try! Maybe they will be like early shallot bulbs! Maybe they will be like garlic scapes but with a flavor only known to Egyptians or exotic gardening folk!

It won't be long now . . . did I ever eat those things before?!?

Steve
Maybe they will be some kind of cure for senility :roll: !

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149590#149590

I told about my experience with walking onions in this thread.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Jal, what a neat clump of walking onions you have. That was an excellent thread.

I have some coming with my garlic order which is also new to me. It sounds like a very interesting plant with a various "reviews."

Thanks everyone!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You asked when to plant? I plant bulbils now and then all summer and into the fall. They will come up and soon make some nice scallions. The fall planted ones are a first harvest in the spring. They do not grow stout in this climate and soil. They are just a delightful scallion. I wonder if the climate and soil may effect the flavor or bite? Perhaps there are some variations in the plant itself with some strains milder than others? I don't know, but mine are good.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my walking onions are refusing to walk. they tell me that they would prefer to be known as 'standing onions'...there's topsets of an inch-and-a-half across on many of them, but no one even leaning over a little...we'll see.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If I ever grow topsets, I'll probably make them their own patch. This way I won't have to worry about them spreading and the mower will keep them within boundaries. The little bulbils look like they would be good in soups.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”