gardenvt
Green Thumb

Best Garlic for Northern States

I am getting ready to place an order for garlic and would like to know what others are growing and the storage for that particular.

I have heard that Music (stiffneck) produces well, tastes great and stores for a long time. I have also heard that most stiffneck garlic doesn't store well.

I want the garlice for good storage, flavor fresh and roasted and for the scapes which would be lovely on the grill I am told.

So, tell me - what are you growing and why?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

When I was studying this two years ago, the clear winner was the music for northern gardeners. Because my planting was a last-minute affair, I planted some softneck unknowns I bought at Albertsons. They did okay. I planted the biggest bulbs from those the next year, and I now have a much more attractive crop than I did the prior year.

Here's a good link for varieties and care of garlic for northern gardeners:

[url=https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/09-011w.htm]Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs[/url]

My niece-in-law, who lives in Ontario, purchases pickled garlic at the farmers market. I asked her to ask the vendor what kind they wore, and he told her music.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, Music is my number one choice. Good size bulbs, good scapes and long storage. Harvest in July-August, hold over until late Oct-Nov and plant.

Eric

gardenvt
Green Thumb

So, once I get the garlic started, I'll have my own "sets" for the next year.

Where do/did you buy your garlic?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Here is a good article

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1030/

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A local farm stand or farmer's market is a good choice for garlic bulbs. This way you know it's a variety for your local climate.

Eric

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm thinking I will go with German Extra Hardy and Music. I'm not clear on the storage capabilities. Territorial Seeds says Music will store 10 months others say 6 months. German hardy should store for 10 months.

Is that your experience?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”