DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

But lets face it most of us are doing way more than what is necessary. These are plants that will grow in nature with or without us manipulating the earth. They may not produce as much, be as healthy and may fall victim to pests or disease but at the end of the day they often find a way to survive.
:? If we grow only natives, this would be mostly true. Seeds are from all over the world. We have to manipulate to become more like the origin of the seed. Hybrids, I believe, are developed to over come these difficulties. I'm pretty sure even open pollinated seed, does not resemble exact original specimen.

Grow vegetables meant for your climate, it makes life easier. :wink:

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Here's another direction to take

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/jk-rowling-to-flatten-16m-home

soil
Greener Thumb

i have to add that growing in different seasons will relate to cost as well. in the winter i can toss out some lettuce seeds, kale, broccoli, etc... not have to do a damn thing and ill end up with more food than i can eat. the winter rains water the plants and the soil feeds.

summer farming takes a little more effort.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When I go into the local garden store, I am amazed at the variety of "stuff" that they have to sell. Of course if you gotta have one of all those, you can spend a bundle of money. I buy seed and a couple dozen of the nursery plants in the small size. That's it. If they depended on me to buy all that other "stuff", they would go broke quickly. My point is what others have said too, you can garden with very little outlay of money, or spend a bundle if that is your wish.

Well, OK, I have some tools that cost money, but good tools last a long time. At the end of their life, they haven't cost you much per season.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It's so true what Gix said about modern-day tools. Not only are some of them flimsy/unreliable, but it hard to tell sometimes which ones are good and which ones are junk. Forget what the packaging says: everything uses heavy duty/built to last/etc. You really have to just experience junk and then experience quality and then you'll see what's good and what's not and then You'll know what to look for.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

pickupguy07

Just yesterday my dad and I spent 5 or 6 hours canning stuff I grew myself in my garden.
This is tuff I just harvested in the last week or so, and just a FRACTION fo what I will harvest this year. We canned 16 quarts of tomatoes, 12 pints of bread & Butter pickles, and 12 pints of sweet relish.
I have already frozen 12 gallon freezer bags of squash, and have much more to harvest.. Not to mention all the lettuce and cabbage we grew and have eaten as they came in...

Now I am getting ... well lots and lots of other stuff.
I have already canned more (dollar wise) than I spent growing my garden this year (that even included buying my canning sypplies). And I have LOTS to come in yet...

OH.. NOT to mention.. the quality time I got to spend with my dad. That's priceless.
Life is great..... but if you get lemons - compost them :-)
Near Atlanta GA... newbie to gardening & Composting

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”