Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Plasnting seeds in groups of 3-4-0r 5!

Planting 3 -4 or 5 plants in a triangle, square or small circle seems to work great for me.. It seems to me that if plants have at least one open side with nothing beside them they will grow better! Beans I have found that when I plant 4 about 4 to 6 inches appart in a square they do great and produce alot! Corn seems also to work great like that! Then I seperate the squares by about 9 inches!The triangle meathod seems to give a little more light to the plants. A small circle with 5 seeds gives the least exposed to light areas but seems to work great for peas. Big bush plants do not work well using this method! Has anyone tried this besides me?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

For years I planted squash this way with 4 or 5 seed in a small circle, then move over 5 feet and do it again. This year I put seed a foot apart in a row. This gives the same amount of seed, but the plants are spaced a foot apart. I will have to report later.

Other plants, I plant lettuce 3 or 4 seed in a spot then move over a foot. I will thin these groups to one later. I do use a drill for beans and corn and a few other varieties. I notice this often drops 2 or 3 seed each time and the seeds end up pretty close together. It doesn't seem to be a problem, but I have been known to thin a bit on corn and carrots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”