probe1957

Zucchini Question

It looks like I will have zucchini by this weekend. The seed packet said to harvest at 6-8 inches and there are several that are about 6 inches now. However, the blossom on the end of the zuc, while fading, is certainly not dead. Should I wait for the blossom to die before I harvest? Is that a stupid question? :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

No questions are stupid. :wink:
Will you be eating them right away? If you wait for the blossom to drop, they may store a little longer. If you harvest before the blossom fades, consume the whole thing. Blossoms can be added to many dishes, tossed salad for one. :)

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can harvest that small if you wish, however I like to let them get 10 to 12 inches. Lots more volume that way and they are still tender and have small seeds at that size.

probe1957

You guys are great. Thanks.

I would eat them right away. Plan to grill them on my Big Green Egg. Stir fry in a grill wok.

nes
Green Thumb

I quite like the little mini zucchs, like 6" long and 1" or so around, they are quite tasty chopped up & fried in tomato sauce :).

The bigger guys 1' long, 4" around sort of thing, I save for zucchini bread!

mansgirl

I was always told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask! :)

ruggr10
Green Thumb

No, I disagree. While the questions on this topic were not stupid, I teach high school math and hear stupid questions every day!

bcallaha
Cool Member

I ditto Nes's comments. Just the right size for slicing and putting in a stir fry, or Lubby's vegetable mix. No matter how hard you try to pick them at 6" - 8" long, one will hide on you and get much larger. I can smell the zucchini bread now......

Brad

SarahSarah
Cool Member

ruggr10 wrote:No, I disagree. While the questions on this topic were not stupid, I teach high school math and hear stupid questions every day!
OT- I teach HS Math too! Alg1, Alg2, Stats :)

SarahSarah
Cool Member

I like to pick my squash around 8 inches. I slice them very thin, toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and some crushed garlic. I let it sit for 3 hours, then I consume happily.

:)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”