orgoveg
Green Thumb

pepper rookie question

I just bought one "better bell" pepper plant and one cayenne plant. They are both tall and thin. Both have flowers. The bell pepper has a fruit beginning to emerge and the cayenne has a half-grown fruit on it. They were quite rootbound, too. I got them because they were dirt cheap and they are better than what I have now (no peppers).

They're already in the ground. Should I cut the fruits off or leave them be?

Also, I usually go heavy on the water for a few days after transplanting things. Same with peppers?

veteran

I am big on letting nature run it's course. Just my 2 cents. Would someone be trimming it if it was growing in nature?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Yeah, that largely makes sense to me. However, if it was growing in nature, it wouldn't have been transplanted after being rootbound in a small pot :)

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I am only telling you what I did and I am not a expert. First I bought two peppers plants from local nursery - A Good Nursery. End of season one was totally loaded with hot peppers - I mean that is why I got it. I thought I couldn't buy all these peppers for the price of plant. When I came home I DID cut some of them off (there had to be 50 on it) Jalapenos. Then I transplanted it, it has been a super producer Put some fertilizer in soil when I repotted it and for first week or 10 days I did water every other day. They I laid off water - because I know from experience too much water is death to peppers - I have killed so many. The other pepper was a banana pepper - also had about 8 peppers - did same thing cut some off and used them and both plants are still doing well. Not sure if it has anything to do with me, the nursery does have a good reputation. But cutting fruit off did not harm. I have been told you should never buy a small plant with fruit on it already, in both these cases, I was willing to take lose as the amount of fruit on them was worth the cost, and they both turned out well. You have nothing to lose. Good Luck.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Well, that experience sounds good to me. Thanks. I'll leave them alone, water good, and then back off the water.

You're right - I have nothing to lose :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”