gardenbean

Bean Plants

Notice on my young bean plants some holes in the leaves from bugs. Should I jump on this right away or will the bean plants be able to fender for themselves. There are NOT many holes in the leaves and from outward appearances the plants look healthy.

I think sometimes for me I can make a problem worse by attempting to fix it than just letting nature run the show :shock:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would look close to see if you can find what is eating them. A few holes in the leaves is not a big problem, however if you happen to have Mexican Bean Beetles, you would want to do something. Those things can decimate your bean patch. [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=mexican+bean+beetle&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=904&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8UP2TeD1N-TSiAL8_42WBw&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQsAQ]Look at this link.[/url]

Do a visual check and also look under the leaves for eggs. Do you have any problems with slugs or snails there? They don't bother us here in Utah.

gardenbean

@Jal-Went and check out my bean plant that was being attacked and come to find out it's a nasty,icky slugs!! I am going to start out using a Murphy Oil Soap with ammonia to spray on my bean plant this eveing. And I am going to also set out some traps for those nasty things. I have some oranges that I am going to half than scoop out and place them out around the plant and see if it really works. I've been told you can also you beer in tuna cans too.

I think my slugs might be coming from my radishes that I haven't all pulled out. I'm thinking maybe I ought to get those radishes pulled out and the area cleaned. :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hey gardenbean can you spot the 2 ladybugs in that link?

Get it "spot" it's all about the spots. :wink:
Last edited by gixxerific on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Slugs attacked my poor lima bean plants while they were in my garden (I've since moved them off to containers) and nearly ate all the leaves with a few little slivered exceptions. :shock:

I transplanted it and it's finally doing better a week or so later. Hope you get your evil little things :twisted: :twisted:

gardenbean

For anyone who may be reading this thread, those traps that I used really did work. I caught five nasty slugss in one and the other there were. So it does work. However, I am keeping a close eye on it and if I see them, well that will be the end of them.............(Maybe I should get a toad, they say toads love slugs!)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

gardenbean wrote:For anyone who may be reading this thread, those traps that I used really did work. I caught five nasty slugss in one and the other there were. So it does work. However, I am keeping a close eye on it and if I see them, well that will be the end of them.............(Maybe I should get a toad, they say toads love slugs!)
Maybe that is why I don't have a big slug problem. My neighbor has a big pond with a lot of frogs of different types. The dang tree frogs are singing now but wait until dark my wife hates it. I like the noise. :P What about lizards I have a ton of them as well.

gardenbean

gixxerific wrote:Hey gardenbean can you spot the 2 ladybugs in that link?

Get it "spot" it's all about the spots. :wink:
That I did indeed :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”