AndreaNSmith
Newly Registered

yellow leaves

I sprayed my garden bed 1 month ago with round up for garden beds, it said it was safe to start a garden after everything died. Last week I planted squash, zuchinni, cucmbers, tomatos, strawberries, cauliflower and some lettuce and green onion seeds. This weekend I noticed all the leaves are turning sickly and yellow, except for my strawberries, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions to save them? Please help :( :cry: :(

johnny123

Could be the Roundup or just too much water.
Have you had alot of rain like the rest of the country?

AndreaNSmith
Newly Registered

I figured the round up would be long gone, but I could be wrong, it was 3 - 4 weeks before I tilled and planted.

Colorado is pretty dry right now, so I have been out there watering every night since I planted them.

AndreaNSmith
Newly Registered

AndreaNSmith wrote:I figured the round up would be long gone, but I could be wrong, it was 3 - 4 weeks before I tilled and planted.

Colorado is pretty dry right now, so I have been out there watering every night since I planted them.
How much or often should you water a garden?

johnny123

Try cutting back on watering and see if they improve.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How much to water is tricky. If your plants are young with not much root system, they will need frequent watering (even every other day in hot weather). More established plants, it is better to water deeply, but less often, encouraging deeper roots.

"Yellow and sickly" could be lack of nutrients (which can be a result of too much water leaching nutrients out). What is your soil like?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I doubt it was the roundup. Though I don't condone the use of it (it is bad stuff for you, your family and the environment do a search on here). But Roundup doesn't stay effective very long. Those that use it say you can spray and plant the next day or two.

johnny123

I don't think it was that either.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm with RBG, we need a little more information.

Soil type?
Weather?
Fertilizer?
Mulched?

Eric

gardenbean

Andrea-you have said nothing about how you prepared your soil! A good garden begins with healthy soil (which can take many years to accomplish, but something all good gardeners strive for :lol: )

Before I began a garden I soil tested my area to see what key items my soil was missing. From there, I am in the process of developing my soil which in turn produce many many great veggies in the long.....

I too am from Colorado and I have heavy clay soil. May I suggest going to your local garden nursey and get a soil test and see what your soil needs. The extra work pays off in the long run....... :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”