Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

First Pickles of 2011

Our first pickles started to come in about 1 week ago, now there is enough to start pickling again! And perfect timing, only one jar left from last year!

So first pickles of the season are now in the jars!

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-gDHcp4x/0/O/I-gDHcp4x.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/I-QqzspRx/0/O/I-QqzspRx.jpg[/img]

Regards,
D

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'm jealous. My cucumber plants are only about a foot tall.

Care to share your recipe?

The Mad Hatter

Mine are about a foot tall as well. I have nice little zucchini coming on like gang busters though. Your pickles look great!

T.M.H.

The Mad Hatter

Mine are about a foot tall as well. I have nice little zucchini coming on like gang busters though. Your pickles look great!

T.M.H.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful!

Wow, can't believe you have cukes already. Mine are just barely emerging. With a little luck, maybe I will have some cukes by August?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations!

Those pics are making me hungry! My cucumbers are not even a foot tall yet.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thanks all! Enjoying the sweet crunch indeed!

Jal - August??? I guess because I choose very early varieties every year, I usually get my first cukes in 40-50 days, and since I mostly grow picklers, I guess that helps the "early" harvest as well. These were sprouted indoors, and transplanted a week later into the garden (first week in May). I do it carefully enough so the roots are not disturbed. Next planting for succession harvest will be planted directly in the ground in a month or so.

Orgoveg - the only careful measurement we use is the brine itself: 40g of salt per 1 liter of water for "half-salts" or at least what we call them, and 60g per liter for regular pickles (that will be used later in the season).

Ingredients in jars are: 2 leafs of red or black currant per jar, 2 leafs of cherry per jar, 1 leaf of horseradish leafs per jar, 4-6 cloves of garlic (half coarse chopped, half whole), small bunch of mature dill (in bloom, flowers and all), small bunch of tarragon, 1tbsp of black pepper corns, 1tbsp of mustard seeds.

Cukes and all ingredients are packed in to sterilized jars first, then, hot, salty water brine to fill the jars, and back on the stove for few min... Sometimes, I drop 1 chilly pepper in the jar for the kicks.

Would love to hear recipes of others as well!!!

Regards,
D

johnny123

Now those are good eats!!!!!

I dated a girl once that didn't know pickles were cucumbers.
She did know about other things but not that.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/fypubs/wp397_99.pdf]More Recipes[/url]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well I have a lot of volunteer dill but no cucumbers. :x :lol:

I actually just replanted the Hmong Red about an hour ago (been looking for them seeds for a few weeks I just found them under my PC desk LOL!) my first attempt never sprouted but that was in the monsoon season.

Looking good DV, did I miss the variety? Do you water bath them or pressure can them? Will you come over and make me some? :wink:

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Those are interesting ingredients, Duh-Vinci.

I make naturally fermented "quick pickles" with marketmore 76 cucumbers 5"-7" long. I've adjusted the ingredients and measurements for several years. The following combination seems to please the most palates.

Wash bowl and cucumbers thoroughly and cut off blossom ends.
In separate bowl, make brine. (7 cups water, ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. pickling salt, 1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar)
Line bottom of bowl with grape leaves (helps with crispiness).
Pack in about 5 medium sized cucumbers with:
About 16 sprigs of dill (or 1-1/2 tbsp. dill seeds)
3 tsp. + ¼ tsp. black peppercorns
4 tsp. + ¼ tsp. yellow mustard seeds (or 1 tsp. ground mustard)
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 large, chopped white onion (or 2-1/2 small onions)

Pour brine over packed ingredients. Weigh down contents with dinner plate to keep them under the liquid surface and cover with plastic wrap. Wait exactly 6 days (at room temperature and 72 degrees at my house). If you prefer more sourness, keep them in there longer.

Will keep for up to two months in refrigerator.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”