Aorourke
Cool Member

Snow peas turning yellow~

Hi!

My snow peas were planted a few weeks ago and were a little yellow at the bottom of the stems then. So I thought that transplanting them and having more nutrients might help them.

As you can see in the photo they are starting to flower and are growing - not fast - but are growing.

It's just the bottoms that are yellow and some of the leaves there are either dying or going yellow as well.

There are no bugs in the garden - yet! - I have checked the leaves and nothing else seems to be wrong with them.

Do they need more of something? I have been keeping my coffee filters and used coffee granuals. Would this help them? and do I just put it on top and water or do I need to dig it into the ground?

I am growing cucumbers beside them as someone (sorry my memory is hopeless with names!) suggested they will benefit from the nitrogen they supply.

anyway here is the peas, taken a day or so ago.

[img]https://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh323/ameorko/Vegetables/DSCF7613.jpg[/img]

thanks for any help!

johnny123

Looks like the sign of fusarium wilt.

Aorourke
Cool Member

Is there anything I can do for them? or do I just pull them? The cucumbers beside them seem to be doing o.k. They have babies!! lol

[img]https://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh323/ameorko/Vegetables/DSCF7599.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh323/ameorko/Vegetables/DSCF7601.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh323/ameorko/Vegetables/DSCF7600.jpg[/img]

johnny123

If it is fusarium wilt they will probably survive but not produce alot.

johnny123

If you want and it might not be too late try some Oregon Sugar Pod II and put them in well drained soil.
You might have better luck.

Aorourke
Cool Member

I might just pull them and see what the garden centre has ready for planting.

I think I know what went wrong. I think I either over watered them when really young and kept them inside for too long. They were put outside for a couple of days and then I took them inside with the rest of the plants.
Next year I will stagger the veggies better according to what weather conditions they like.
First year growing from seed and I was bored at the end of winter so needed something to look forward to in the spring! Next year I will be more organized.
The only way is learning from mistakes!! Lol

Aorourke
Cool Member

Well I was about to pull them but there were two fully grown pea pods, waiting to be eaten. I had one and my DS 22 months had the other and it was gone within seconds! :lol: So I didn't have the heart to pull them after that. :D
The local garden center advised me to use a liquid fertilizer instead of the dry stuff. So I'm going to try that tomorrow. Also I bought some bean plants as the area with the peas were shouting for more friends!! Lol

I have to keep a close eye on my toddler now as he thinks all of the plants are for eating as I let him pull a lettuce leave as well. :?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

When I grew peas ( only grew them once), I had the same type of thing going on with them. They were yellow at the bases like you described, and they grew slowly...but, like yours, they still grew.

I left them in and I got a fair harvest from them. I would say leave them, any peas are better than no peas at all.

Also, what temperature is it there?

Peas like it cool and I grew mine through summer, so I'm sure that played a part with their slow growth.

Aorourke
Cool Member

Temps are up and down right now. we had a good week or so of late 20's. Right now the highs are about 20 to 25 degrees.
I'm going to leave them and have put some beans between them as well.

this is them this morning. I'm going to take more photo's as the weeks go on, then I will see just how much they are growing! :)

[img]https://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh323/ameorko/Vegetables/DSCF7668.jpg[/img]

johnny123

It still looks like a classic case of fusarium wilt {Root Rot} caused by a fungi that blocks water vessels in the plant.
First sign the lower leaves start to yellow.

If it is this it can spread and remain in the soil for a very long time.
It loves organic matter in soil.
Any garden tool used in this soil can also have traces on them and help in spreading using those tools in other area.

I hope it's not that because it will still probably be in the soil next year.

Aorourke
Cool Member

if it is the fungus what can I do for next year?

I used my hands to plant the peas and the other veggies. I cant remember which order I planted them all and I did do them all in an afternoon, so far everything else is growing good. I used a trowel for the beans which I put in yesterday, so the soil next to them might be infected, so I'll wash the trowel properly incase.

I will keep a close eye on it and see if there is any more damage in the coming months.

Thanks for the advice! :D

johnny123

If it is fusarium wilt I would choose a new area to plant.

Aorourke
Cool Member

A new plot altogether or just avoid that area where the peas are?

johnny123

Sent you a PM.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”