stella1751
Greener Thumb

What Is Your Favorite Part of Gardening?

I like walking out in the morning and seeing what has happened overnight. During the day, because I work at home and have a certain degree of freedom, I will check my garden several times a day. I can discern small differences on occasion, but nothing like what I will see on the first walk-through of the day.

I like watering, too. Watering the plants makes me feel like I am making a positive contribution to their eventual success. For this reason, I doubt I will ever install a timed watering system. There is too much satisfaction to be derived from simply placing a hose or a sprinkler on the plants for me to relinquish that pleasure to a machine :lol:

gardenbean

Being this is my actual "first" garden, what I've enjoyed the most is growing those veggies I thought I couldn't (Broccoli and peas so far) and being able to pass this abundance on to my friends and local food banks.

And most importantly just becoming "aware" of how everything within my garden is connected to each other :wink:

Still a work in progress.

johnny123

Going out at night and having a long conversation with the plants.
The ones that listen grow very well.
They can hear you.
You have heard about playing music helps plants grow.
Talking to them also works.

Leo Mitchell
Newly Registered

Eating tasty fresh veggies! :D And no, I'm not FAT!

johnny123

Half of them are probably just freeloaders and don't want anything to do with a garden because that means they will have to do some work.

johnny123

Forgot to post the best part about talking to the plants.
What is said in the garden stays in the garden.

TWC015

Like stella, one of my favorite parts of gardening is the first walk out to the garden in the morning. It is amazing how fast plants grow overnight, especially vining plants like pumpkins and watermelons.

I also like to look back at pictures of the garden from when the plants were tiny seedlings and comparing to their full grown size and how fast they grew to that size.

One more of my favorite parts of gardening is watching a datura flower change throughout the day and watching it open in the evening. In the morning, the flowers are tightly closed and have a light tan color on the end; during the day, they slowly become looser and turn more pure white. Just before dusk, you can watch them "pop" open and uncurl to their full size.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Starting the first seeds and sharing the plants with friends, preparing the garden in the spring and planting out.

I enjoy that first walk in the morning, watering, and realizing the power of soil, sun and water.

Moonflowers, heirloom tomatoes, red peppers, fresh crisp cucumbers - the lush look of a healthy garden.

I feel closer to God and the earth when I am in my garden.

krzyk4
Cool Member

I treat my garden like my children, I check on it before I go to sleep and when I get up in the morning. I thought I was the only one who talks to their plants lol! I am very worried that when I go on vacation, I will miss them so much that I'm getting my parents to text me photos :D

razyrsharpe

I agree, the morning walk through the garden is the most calming part of it all. but I also love harvesting. today I picked 9 cucumbers, 4 cowhorn peppers and sweet banana pepper. pole beans are blossoming and about to start producing heavily...I can't wait!

lily51
Greener Thumb

I, too, love to start my day walking outside looking at the veggies,the flowers,the herbs. It gets the day off to a calm start.
Watching plants grow, tending to them, then reaping the harvest be it bloom or eats...the whole process nurtures me. :flower:

nosta

the morning walk thru with a fresh cup of coffe in hand. Sun not quite up and the neighbors still sleeping, very peaceful

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Sounds like most folks like the morning visit. I have to agree. It's just cool to watch things grow. Most of my friends don't get it. I don't get some of the things that interest them :)

Aorourke
Cool Member

I like the going out at night once the kids are in bed and being able to see how much my outside babies have grown. Watering in the peace and quiet, knowing they won't talk back, argue with me and I can take the veggies away from them without a moan!! Lol
Oh and it's my hobby and no-one inter fears with it!! they get to help when I need it!! It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you see the first veggies start appearing! :)
I can't do the walk in the morning as the kids are early risers and once their eyes are open they are running about. LOL

Aorourke
Cool Member

I like the going out at night once the kids are in bed and being able to see how much my outside babies have grown. Watering in the peace and quiet, knowing they won't talk back, argue with me and I can take the veggies away from them without a moan!! Lol
Oh and it's my hobby and no-one inter fears with it!! they get to help when I need it!! It's a great feeling of accomplishment when you see the first veggies start appearing! :)
I can't do the walk in the morning as the kids are early risers and once their eyes are open they are running about. LOL

nosta

nosta wrote:the morning walk thru with a fresh cup of coffe in hand. Sun not quite up and the neighbors still sleeping, very peaceful

this morning walk thru was not pleasant. Thunderstorms last night knocked over the beans,squash and some peppers. :(

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I like just being there - evening is best for me because morning reviews show me what work needs to be done that day :shock: .

I like the lawn experience of rinsing the harvested veggies out on the grass in the shade of a tree.

I like bringing some of the garden into the kitchen. I can't think of a more positive way to benefit my health and sense of healthy living :) !

I like the creation and use of the environment and my role in it. The garden itself: where I can shuffle around with my eyes on my paths, stopping to enjoy the color and texture of the garden plants, looking at the birds and up into the clear blue sky or the moving clouds. Then, I like the association of my lawn as a staging area for the garden and kitchen. Finally, I've got the kitchen sink, stove and table! There isn't much more required in life :wink: .

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Eating what I grow. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I like the sense of accomplishment I get from growing all of these lush plants and good vegetables all from seed.

I also like trying new things each year and the surprises that come with watching a new crop grow that you've never grown before.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

nosta wrote:this morning walk thru was not pleasant. Thunderstorms last night knocked over the beans,squash and some peppers. :(
Sorry to hear this, Nosta. Can they be saved?

I dreaded this morning's walk-through, after having watched hail bounce off the lawn last evening. However, I got lucky. The habaneros got shredded, and there's mud-splash on the plants that I haven't yet mulched, but that's about it. They'll all recover.

My hybrid big chile II peppers looked especially fine this morning. They can definitely take a beating and emerge winners. I had a cup of coffee in a lawn chair facing that bed!

soil
Greener Thumb

stella your growing for the big chili peppers again? I collected some seed from a roadside mexican stand months ago. anyways the chili peppers I got the seeds from were huge, the one I took seeds out and planted from was 11 and 3/4 inch. there was a few in the bag that looked bigger but were broken. we should start a big pepper thread.

oh yea my favorite part about gardening is watching nature do its thing.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I love eating the fresh vegatables. They all taste much better than grocery store vegatables especially the tomatoes and corn. I also love to Can in mason jars so we can eat garden vegatables all winter. Lots of tomatoes, beans, and corn. Chili, vegatable soup and more all winter. Tacos, pico de gallo, salsa, fried Okra, fried squash, sliced tomatoes, potatoes, garden guacamole, greens, salads, corn on the cob, cabbage rolls, stuffed bell peppers, stir fly, WOW, how does it get better than this.

I like to hoe early in the morning and late in the evening. I like to set under the shade tree with a glass if ice tea and watch the birds.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:stella your growing for the big chili peppers again? I collected some seed from a roadside mexican stand months ago. anyways the chili peppers I got the seeds from were huge, the one I took seeds out and planted from was 11 and 3/4 inch. there was a few in the bag that looked bigger but were broken. we should start a big pepper thread.

oh yea my favorite part about gardening is watching nature do its thing.
Soil, your roadside stand peppers sound extremely interesting. I think the thread is an excellent idea! I'm starting it now.

LLandry11

My husband and I are just starting our very first garden. We planted our potatoes and tomatoes today. So exciting! So far, my favorite part has been spending all this time outside. Even though it's a lot of work, it's so relaxing at the same time. After reading your posts, I think I will make a morning walk through a must, with my cup of coffee. And I never thought about talking to my new "babies", but I'm such a chatterbox that I think conversation should come fairly easy. I am loving this forum so far, keep the posts coming!

nosta

stella1751 wrote:
nosta wrote:this morning walk thru was not pleasant. Thunderstorms last night knocked over the beans,squash and some peppers. :(
Sorry to hear this, Nosta. Can they be saved?

I dreaded this morning's walk-through, after having watched hail bounce off the lawn last evening. However, I got lucky. The habaneros got shredded, and there's mud-splash on the plants that I haven't yet mulched, but that's about it. They'll all recover.

My hybrid big chile II peppers looked especially fine this morning. They can definitely take a beating and emerge winners. I had a cup of coffee in a lawn chair facing that bed!
I think they all will be fine. I let the ground dry out and then stood the beans back up. I firmed the soil at the base of they plant and they are looking better(Bush Blue Lake's). They peppers were already staked but I hadnt tied them all off yet(they are now). The squash just rolled over but will be fine I think. I'm not going to try and roll them back as the leaf stalks are fragile and break easily. If anything doesnt make it, I'll just re-plant. Thats a good thing about the southeast...long growing season.

Thanks for asking and I'm glad you made out with only a little damage.
:D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My favorite part is as well the early morning check. I do also love hand watering my plants not only are they getting watered but it gives me a chance to get up close and personal and see how things are, check for damage, etc.

Than there is the shopping all the nursery's, the sitting and staring at the garden wondering what else you can shove in there it goes on and on.

Let's not forget the harvest.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:Sounds like most folks like the morning visit. I have to agree. ...
Yes, I find mornings in the garden to be very satisfying... Especially when the afternoon high temps get into the 90-100 degree range... 5:00am rocks!!! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”