jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice Day - Something Different

Nice day. Something different happened this afternoon. I was called to go capture a swarm of bees. That is always interesting. This swarm was on the ground on a water meter enclosure. Alas I forgot to take my camera. I had to scoop them up in a tin can and put them in a bucket. I finally got them all and took them home. Here is a pic after I dumped them on the frames.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/swarm6_10_2011.jpg[/img]

Beansie_time

Will you ship some to me in New Hampshire? :lol:

I have a whole bunch of winter squash that needs pollinating.

gardenbean

Jal, do you raise beehives?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

So cool. I've long wanted to keep bees, but I don't think it would be allowed in the city.

My son found a tree full of honeybees in a nearby wooded area. I now consider it "my" hive and I would like to care for it. Would any sort of maintenance be helpful for it, or do you just let nature take care of it?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My Quaker Meeting (church) has a beehive and we are 4 miles from downtown (I.e not quite "inner city" but close, very citified). I have friends that keep bees that are in the city. New York City has its own Beekeepers Association. My understanding of the city ordinance where I am (Cincinnati) is that it falls under the "nuisance" codes - there is no prohibition of beekeeping, but you can be asked to remove them if neighbors complain.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'll have to look into it. The current City law director is an old acquaintence. There was recently a big stink about a couple who had a pair of chickens in their back yard. The City told them that animal "husbandry" was not allowed and they fought it through all of the appeals that they could. The City prevailed even though they had two hens which are not capable of reproduction without a rooster. How is that "husbandry"?

I can see bees becoming an even bigger stink, although I don't think my neighbors would object.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Beansie_time, wish I could.

gardenbean, I am a backyard beekeeper. I have 8 colonies.

orgoveg, depends on your local laws. Some cities allow hobby beekeeping. A wild colony is best just left alone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”