pickupguy07

colored bell peppers

I bought three bell pepper plants at my garden store, and they had the little tags in them that showed one was red, one was yellow, and one was orange...

Now they are blooming and starting to sprout bell peppers but so far they are all green...
Does ALL types start out green and then turn colors as they mature,.. or did they sell me green peppers in place of colored one.
I have read that coloered peppers (especially red ones) are sweeter, and much better health advantages than plain green ones.

Can anyone tell me the scoop in peppers.
TIA

Beansie_time

Mine have always all started out green then turned red as they ripened.
I've never grown yellow or orange.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Yes they do change the older they get or the riper! The sweeness is best when they are mature and usually their final color! I have grown all colors. I even planted seeds with all colors on the package so I wll have all colors this year to save seeds!

Rogue11

The only pepper that changed color very small for me was my purple beauty which turned from green to dark purple after only a few days. All my other bell peppers (gold, red, chocolate) have started green and turned colors after several weeks.

fishntime

All the ones I have had in the past started out green and then changed colors later.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

pickupguy07 wrote:I bought three bell pepper plants at my garden store, and they had the little tags in them that showed one was red, one was yellow, and one was orange...

Now they are blooming and starting to sprout bell peppers but so far they are all green...
Does ALL types start out green and then turn colors as they mature,.. or did they sell me green peppers in place of colored one.
I have read that coloered peppers (especially red ones) are sweeter, and much better health advantages than plain green ones.

Can anyone tell me the scoop in peppers.
TIA
They'll all start out green, then turn a color. However, keep an eye on them because some will need to be picked before they turn- because last year I had a few, and by time they turned completely red, they had already gone bad and didn't have much time left.

and yes, they are much better. I've got red, yellow, and a banana pepper going this year :D

webmaster
Site Admin

Green bell peppers have a brighter flavor. Chop up some green bell pepper and stick it in a blender with mozzarella, monterey or jack cheese. Then make something with it that is melted, panini, pizza, pupusa, whatever. Then do the same with a red or yellow pepper. The green pepper will have more tang. That's the difference.

Red, yellow, orange are sweeter but have less tang. They taste better on their own than green when roasted. But don't make the mistake of counting out green bell peppers like Alice Waters did [url=https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/dining/12green.html]who famously stated[/url] thought green bell peppers are unripe and bitter and started a foody trend against green bell peppers.

[quote]In “Chez Panisse Vegetablesâ€

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="webmaster"]Green bell peppers have a brighter flavor. Chop up some green bell pepper and stick it in a blender with mozzarella, monterey or jack cheese. Then make something with it that is melted, panini, pizza, pupusa, whatever. Then do the same with a red or yellow pepper. The green pepper will have more tang. That's the difference.

Red, yellow, orange are sweeter but have less tang. They taste better on their own than green when roasted. But don't make the mistake of counting out green bell peppers like Alice Waters did [url=https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/dining/12green.html]who famously stated[/url] thought green bell peppers are unripe and bitter and started a foody trend against green bell peppers.

[quote]In “Chez Panisse Vegetablesâ€

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

As stated yes they ALL start out green. Just be patient it can take some time for them to change and fully ripen. But be careful after they change and are ripe they will rot if left too long. It takes some trial and error but it is worth it.

Think of them like tomatoes. You see the fruit show up green that it takes forever to get any color on than in no time it is ready to pick. Tomatoes and peppers are in the same family.

pickupguy07

ok cool.. thanks
looking forward to having the get ripe

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm patient and let the peppers get red ripe. My favorite is Carmen - a bullhorn type that is just delicious. Also, Jimmy Nardello is a great pepper and quite tasty.

When it comes to anchos - we'll take them as green pablanos.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”