sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Could I be dealing with Early Blight already?

cuz seriously? if I am? I think I'm going to cry. I was just looking at my tomato plants and one of them (the bottom leaves touching the ground) had the brown spot with yellowing around it. both stems near the ground had spots. :( :( :( I"m trying to to freak out, but it looks like the early blight I had last year. The plants are looking so healthy since this past week of heat!

vermontkingdom

It's likely. Here in Vermont, I already have EB on some of my tomato leaves. It's discouraging but what can you do? I've had it each summer for about ten years now but never before the end of July. This spring has been so wet and cool I knew it would be earlier than most years. However, I couldn't have imagined it would be the first week in June.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

sigh.......... so now what? :(

I've had a rough start this year with growing seedlings, I've been very careless and lost a lot of stuff. I think I will have a meltdown if I end up losing all my tomato plants!

what protects against it? anything? surround? anything?

applestar
Mod

I'm going to sound naive here, but is early blight fatal?
I was reading some descriptions given to someone else's post and was thinking I get leaves like that every year, but the plants usually out grow that... Never knew it was Early Blight....

Any diseased looking leaves get clipped off and bottom leaves raised (I.e. Bottom most leaves get. Trimmed off some more) rest of plant gets alternately sprayed with milk solution and AACT. additional compost and hay/straw mulch applied and plant generally coddled to avoid to dry/wet stresses.

Late blight a couple of years ago was a different story since the developing fruits themselves were affected.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Like applestar, I think I deal with early blight every year and it's usually not a big problem. Milk spray keeps it check along with removing the affected leaves. I had a more aggressive case of it this spring and copper spray seems to have arrested it. It can still spread, but usually doesn't when the climate dries out in summer.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well, last year I had it REALLY bad. removing the stems wasn't enough. it just kept moving up and moving up and moving up! there were barely any stems left on the plants and I ended up having to spray an anti fungal. which I HATE to do because I don't like using chemicals. even that wouldn't 100% fix it. I harvested a bunch of tomatoes and then I ended up giving up to the blight at one point because it was just too much to deal with with the kids. it took over and the tomatoes got blight on themselves even. so, naturally I'm starting to freak because it is so early in the season. and I fear that I'm not goin to get any tomatoes. we're just getting buds on the plants now (getting ready to open up! yeah!) so. should I just spray milk then? I have a powdered one. what is the mix ration to water?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hope you are wrong with the blight. But like Apple said I had some disease last year the never stopped but neither did my plants.

Remember DO NOT compost anything you believe to be diseased. I myself don't even like to compost tomatoes at all though I cant' help myself sometimes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”