Aya

Can I fix compacted soil?

With this being my first year gardening, I wanted to use raised beds so I could move them later on if need be. Instead of using the native soil I went out and bought about 15 bags of planting soil from my home improvement store. Only after I got it all opened and in the beds did I see a note on the bag (In very small lettering) that it was not to be used for container gardening. Now my issue is that the soil in my raised beds gets compacted very easily. The plants seem to be doing okay in them - but they obviously aren't thriving. Is there anyway I can fix the soil?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Compost compost compost oh yeah and manure. You need something to loosen up the soil and bring it back to life. If you have a truck or access to one I would buy in bulk though it is WAY cheaper. You could add all kinds of things to loosen up the soil that is what I would use in quantity. You could also use good light potting soil or even a good load of top soil. You could even use straight penlite etc.

Did yo happen to get the green and white bags of top soil they sell at Lowe's and Home depot?

Aya

I know they weren't Miracle Grow. The lady there advised against it, I never knew it was junk until she told me!

I think it was Sta-Green - that's what the lady recommended. Is that stuff good?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If I remember right Sta Green is not bad. I thought maybe you got the "top Soil" they have it is in a green and white bag. That stuff becomes like concrete when dry. Though I do get that stuff myself especially when it is a torn bag since it is like $.75. But I always use it as a filler with other good stuff just to make the good stuff go farther. I use a lot of potting soil, humus, compost etc in pots. I always make a mix and know what mixes well to keep it fluffy and still go cheap.

Aya

I did have one bag of stuff I mixed in from Walmart - it didn't even have a name... just "generic planting soil" and that seems like the soil in my bed. I have to dig down in it and mix it up with a trowel and fork to get it fluffy. Don't know why I bother, as soon as it dries out its like concrete again :roll:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”