orgoveg
Green Thumb

Anyone make garlic/pepper spray?

I decided to mix up some garlic and pepper spray in attempt to stop a furry critter from eating my garden. The first batch clogged my sprayers, so I strained it through a very fine mesh culinary strainer. It still clogged, so I strained it again through coffee filters. That worked, but it took forever and a day.

I dumped a bunch of fine ground red pepper into a bottle and then minced 5 garlic cloves into it. I then just added water and let it sit for awhile. There has to be a better way, so I'm wondering how somebody else makes it.

johnny123

Fences work well.

johnny123

Never made the homemade brew.
I use coyote urine around the area of plants that I don't have fenced in.
Works good on rabbits and woodchucks.

johnny123

Try wrapping the crushed garlic in cheesecolth when soaking in water and try liquid pepper hot sauce.

??????????? It might work

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I make garlic pepper spray (against insects, coyote urine or fence doesn't help). I blend all the ingredients up as fine as I can get it. Then I let it sit in the blender until the solids settle out. Pour the liquid off the top through layers of cheesecloth.

Can't say it never clogs the sprayer, but it works pretty well.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I use the seed/placenta from habaneros and soak them in rubbing alcohol to extract the heat compounds (which are much more soluble in oil and alcohol than in water). The alcohol then goes into soapy water in the sprayer (the soap acts as a spreader-sticker). You could soak garlic powder or crushed garlic in water and pour off the water to use that. some people add an egg and let it rot, which I think is over kill. I think that a freshly blended up egg would probably act as a spreader sticker too.

Habs cost the same as other grocery store hot peppers but have 10-100X the heat.

johnny123

[quote="rainbowgardener"]
I make garlic pepper spray (against insects, coyote urine or fence doesn't help). I blend all the ingredients up as fine as I can get it. Then I let it sit in the blender until the solids settle out. Pour the liquid off the top through layers of cheeseclotth.

Can't say it never clogs the sprayer, but it works pretty well.[/quote]

I think he has "Furry Creature" problems not insects.

But then again I guess some insects might have fur.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Ah. Some real good ideas here. Thank you.

I just got sick of working around the fence, so I don't have it this year. I think I'm going to regret that decision.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

johnny123 wrote:try liquid pepper hot sauce.
You wouldn't want to use commercial hot sauce as it usually contains vinegar and salt. Both of them kill vegetation.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”