Avonnow
Green Thumb

Sense of accomplishment! Yeah

I know I don't have near what alot of you have. I see other photos and drool. :roll: But if you saw the very small bit of land I am working with it in heat drenched Florida, you would realize why I feel so good. Last year Feb 2010, I watched Food Inc, and made a promise, I would try to grow better food for my family and myself. What I could not grow I would buy at local organic farmers market. In this area Merritt Island, FL we have one, but we have it. I can't believe that I finally am seeing things come to fruition, last week I was able to can tomatoes, salsa, some pickles, some beans and some pickled peppers. I also froze a bunch of beans, but my photo of that freezer would be well embarrassing so we will skip that. I also did some dehydrating of hot peppers and tomato's. I am so proud. We have been getting all our cucumbers, lettuce, beans, eggplant, okra, tomato's and peppers from out home garden. While they are not always pretty - when I see stories on the news like the one in England about the salmonella outbreak I am happy I made changes. While it only meets a certain need, I feel so much better. I also am trying to buy more locally at our organic farmers market. I want to say I am almost sure I could not have done it without this forum, it has been a god-send to me in getting alot of quality advice. So thanks from the bottom of my heart!!!! Oh one note the fruit loops were not grown in my garden. Sorry :D
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/DSCF0896.jpg[/img]

Lunacy
Cool Member

Congrats! You did great, you did more than survive, you won!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice going!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Congrats ;D

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Second year and you already know how to can. That's great! I've read all about canning and have long wanted to do it, but I never have. I just dry and freeze. Sometime I want to dig a root cellar.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's a really great store!

It looks like your gardening efforts are really paying off. Good going!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Looks a bit like my food storage area. I have okra, tomatoes, green beans, Purple yard longs, cukes pickled in bitter brine and bread and butter brine, lots of green salsa verde and oddest of all========Bread and Butter Brussels Sprouts.

Canning is a lot of fun and I enjoy the extended season with things in store.

One of my younger friends came over yesterday with his 2 little girls and I had just finished canning some Bread & Butter sliced cukes and was in the process of making a gallon of salsa with my ripe tomatoes. When they came in my kitchen the girls both said "Oh, something smells good!!" So, they left with some freshly made pickles and salsa and a promise to return my jars for more stuff in the future.

Enginerd

Yeah! That is so exciting to see! This is just my 2nd year and I just got a pressure cooker/canner as a wedding gift. You've inspired me to give it a go!

applestar
Mod

:clap: Yay !! :clap:
Are you doing what I did first year I had my own canned goods in the cupboard and opening the doors to peek in and smile just because it makes you smile? :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”