SPierce
Greener Thumb

First Harvest!

Okay, so it's small, and isn't a lot... but, dangit, I ATE something from the garden tonight. The strawberry was the best I've ever had, and the lettuce not far behind :lol: :lol: :D

After my disaster last year and not getting anything at all, I'm just so happy to be able to eat something from my back yard- that I grew!

[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Photo111.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Photo112.jpg[/img]

I freaking can't wait until I can get my entire dinner from my back yard! Even the potatoes are starting to flower!

BP

Congrats. My strawberries are still green.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

BP wrote:Congrats. My strawberries are still green.
Thanks! Nearly all of mine are, too. This one seemed to want to show up early, which worked out since we had a horrible thunderstorm with hail a few hours after I picked them both. It was green in the am, and red in the pm. Kinda glad I go out there and check on things multiple times a day :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Nice harvest, and just the start of many good things to come!
After your potatoes flower, you can do a little "finger digging" around the bottom of the plants and find new potatoes. Just replace the soil after you get your little potatoes, and the plant will continue to grow as will the potatoes.
Ohh, I didn't know that. I thought that I Had to wait for the plants to die off before I could actually start taking/eating any of them! I've got like a foot of soil over them at the moment that I've hilled (in an 18gallon container) so hopefully I'll get plenty of taters this year :D

gardenbean

Great for you, nothing better than veggies from your own garden!!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

gardenbean wrote:Great for you, nothing better than veggies from your own garden!!
thank you! :D everythings finally coming together....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”