lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Jal, Onions

What do I do now?

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/2011_001_Greenhouse/IMG_0094.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/2011_001_Greenhouse/IMG_0095.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

EAT!

You could also let them go a little longer and then save the bulbils on top to replant so you can expand your onion patch.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like to keep a couple of clumps just to grow the bulbils. I picked a load of bulbils last fall and put them in a cardboard box in the garage. I planted some of those in the fall, and these are my first harvest in the spring. They are making nice green onions now. I have since made another planting in the spring. These are just small but growing well. I still have enough bulbils left for another row, plus I gave some away. They seem to keep well just in the garage. Life is good. :)

Have you eaten some of these onions and how do you like them?

applestar
Mod

My Egptian onions are doing those funny dances too. :lol:

I planted them everywhere, so I first had to decide which clump will be designated "Mother Clump". I think I'll leave the ones under the peach tree and harvest the others.

I also want to let a few of them go "Walking" so I've been waiting for them to fall over. But maybe it would make more sense to just harvest the onion and plant the shooting bulbils?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like them when about this big with nice pretty greens:

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onions_eg_4.jpg[/img]

I plant them quite deep to get a good white portion.
They sell good at market.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Have you eaten some of these onions and how do you like them?
Oh yes, they are good. Have used in cooking and in salads.

What is the process for saving bulbils? When are they ready to put in a box in the garage?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What is the process for saving bulbils? When are they ready to put in a box in the garage?
If I need some to plant, I grab some anytime there are some to be had. Otherwise I usually wait until late September to pick them all and put them in the garage. I do nothing special, just toss them in a box and put it in the garage. You must remember we have low humidity here, and that may not work in areas of high humidity. I guess you would find out if they started to grow in the box.

Those I put in the box last fall are still keeping OK, and I am going to plant some more soon. I don't have any new bulbils yet this season.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”