gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

mbaker410 wrote:That definitely sounds good right now! I will look around for that recipe.

Do you grow your own okra?
Yes, as a matter of fact I have 30 or so plants in my garden now that are only producing about 15 pods a day, but that will pick up to between 40-50+ a day by the time mid July hits and continue until I pull the plants by early September to make space for the fall stuff.

I pickle it, fry it, smother it for gumbos and soups, and one of my favorites is grilling it. If you've never had grilled okra, you need to give it a try. This is how I do it and it comes out great.

Use 2 skewers or one of those double prong skewers. Arrange similar size pieces of okra alternating the stem ends and skewer them near each end to form something like a raft. Brush the okra with some good olive oil, sprinkle a bit of sea salt and cracked black pepper and grill them until they are tender. This takes about 5 minutes or so on each side to get nice grill marks and cook them on my grill. When they are done, the skewers are very easy to remove.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very attractive. Good Job.

mbaker410

I have never had grilled okra but am going to give that a try!.

I will be putting in my bean plants today I think since it will be nice and cool today. Only getting up to around 75 degrees.

I am going to the store to pick up some more plants and possible some nets for my broccoli plants. Something is already getting at them and I don't want them destroyed like the last time I tried broccoli.

What type of real estate does the okra take up? I might try to find some okra plants today while at the store.

thanks!

mbaker410

jal_ut wrote:Very attractive. Good Job.
Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”