Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Water a garden that a house hose can't reach the easy way!

I have a garden in a area that I can't get a hose to so here is what I have come up with! I put a 50 gallon drum on my pick up! I pull about 20 feet from the garden and run a 50 foot garden hose into the bottom of the drum! The garden is several feet lower than the drum on my truck! I take the hose into the garden leaving one end of the hose in the drum! It takes about 2 quarts to fill up the hose with water holding it at a level slightly above the level of the water in the barrel. All you have to do now is lower the hose and the water runs outj ust like if it was connected to a faucet! When you want the water to stop just hold it at waste high or lift it till the water stops coming out! Works great and 50 gallon waters alot of crops! Any ther ideas?

johnny123

Rain!!!!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Do you know any rain makers?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just bought extra hose, but near where I live, farmers use irrigation ditches, or else big, mobile irrigation systems similar to these:

[img]https://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles38307.jpg[/img]

johnny123

Bobberman, Burt Lancaster died back in the 90's so the best I can tell you is to get yourself a big marching bass drum. LOL

applestar
Mod

On a smaller scale, I fill up a wheelbarrow.

On an even smaller scale, I fill up a couple of plastic grocery bags when the watering can isn't handy.

I stash those bags in different parts of the garden so they are always handy. (Yes, I bring my own bags most of the time, and ask for paper bags when I forget because they are great for putting kitchen scraps in and for sheet mulching -- free BROWNS! 8) but DH keeps bringing them home :| )

TWC015

I have to connect 3 water hoses together to supply water to my garden. I then have a soaker hose at the end of the 3 hoses.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just get some more hose. That is about the only good way. Hopefully your garden is not 500 feet away. :lol: :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry I didn't really read your post at first. What you are doing is not a bad idea. We have to do that sometimes on jobs with no water. I am a bricklayer and need water for mortar. We sometimes have to truck in water in large water containers (I want to say they are 200 - 250 gallon). But like you said it comes out with some force, the more water the more force.

Another thing I thought of is, of course money not being a problem, (yeah right :wink: ) you could run underground piping from the house to a spicket. It could be as simple as something you would have to mate with your house spicket.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

johnny123 wrote:Bobberman, Burt Lancaster died back in the 90's so the best I can tell you is to get yourself a big marching bass drum. LOL
Iwas going to mention him when he was in ther movie getting it to rain. Was that Elmer Gentry movie or another! he was one of my faorite actors especially when he played Jim Thorpe from the Caryle College in Pa.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's a great idea! I'm glad it's working out for you, bobber. I'll have to remember that trick in case I should ever need it in the future.

pickupguy07

yeah.. I have a 55 gallon drum that I collect rain water off of my roof in when it rains.. then when it gets dry I do like you said and drain it out onto my flowers / plants nearby.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”